What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Gap Fairing help needed

HayesRV7

I'm New Here
Hello all,

Started working on the aileron gap fairing and flap brace this evening. Trimmed the flap brace and clecoed it to the rear spar and then moved on to the aileron gap fairing.

After I clecoed the aileron gap fairing to the rear spar, the top wing skin has been pulled down almost 1/8" to 3/16" to meet the fairing from where the wing skin lays coming off the flange of the rear spar. The skins on the wings have to be flexed down in order to come into contact with the gap fairing.

It almost seems to me that the flange on the rear spar may not be exactly correct as it comes from Van's and this could be causing the skin to flare up and not lay flat down on the gap fairing.

Or, maybe the flange angle is correct and the skin should be flexed down some??? There is no mention is the manual or plans that I can find regarding this.

In addition, there is an approximate 10 inch area of wing skin inboard of the point that the aileron gap fairing ends that is not pulled down similar to the skin clecoed to the gap fairing.

Anybody have any suggestions on this? Am I doing something wrong here? How should I move forward?

Should I flex the skin aft of the rear spar slightly so that it skin rests naturally onto the fairing and maintains an even line beyond the point it contacts the aileron gap fairing? I am not sure how one would go about changing the flange angle on the rear spar - there would be several feet of spar flange that would need to be adjusted consistently and to the same degree.

HELP !

As always, thank you to anyone that can lend some helping thoughts on this.

Not sure about ,....

Eric you said >> "In addition, there is an approximate 10 inch area of wing skin inboard of the point that the aileron gap fairing ends that is not pulled down similar to the skin clecoed to the gap fairing. "

The aileron gap fairing extends the lenght of the aileron, and the flap brace is the lenght of the flap. As I remember it, there is no overlap and the upper wing skin over the flap is not braced as the flap tucks up under it when retracted? Flap hinge and brace attach to the bottom skin.

Sorry but having a hard time picturing the problem.

With regard to the aileron fairing pulling the wing skin out of line, you might just check and be sure the flange bend on the fairing isn't off just a little bit. If so, you could probably adjust it. Mine went on just like the plans called for with no excessive bend although I do think there was a small gap if I just had it clecoed to the spar. Maybe 1/8 or so but the wing skin clecoed down with no issue that I recall.

Maybe a picture or two would clear up the question?

Bill S
7a finishing

Sounds like rear spar flange bend angle

Eric,
Put a straight edge, like your steel 3' scale, on the top skin in the direction air would flow over the wing. With the top skin in a natural position undistorted by the aileron parts you mention, there should not be a gap between the scale and the row of rivets at the rear spar. If there is, the rear spar flange is not bent far enough. Not to worry. Van's has a rear spar bend adjustment fixture. Call them to obtain and use it. I did and it worked fine. My issue was more in the flap area than the ailerons.

I can't pin my defect on the factory. On review of photos, It reminded me of the fact my long reach squeezer jaw barely fit in the acute angle of the rear spar and I could have distorted the flange while setting the whole line of rivets.

Good luck.

There were quite a few QB wings produced with an under bent rear spar flange, thus the Vans special tool :(. My advice is to fix it as early in the process as you can. Much easier before the flap brace and gap seals are in place.

Same problem

I had the same problem. In the aileron area, I just riveted the gap fairing in and it brought the skin down. In the flap area, the skin was flared up slightly:
20071209-12-tn.jpg

...so I made a tool...
20071209-13-tn.jpg

...and used it to tweak the bend angle of the rear spar flange:
20071210-03-tn.jpg

Result...no flare of the skin:
20071210-04-tn.jpg

Good luck!

Back