What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron/flap te radius

Chappyd

Well Known Member
I'm putting my flaps together today. In the process I noticed the pre-formed trailing edge on the flaps is quite a bit larger than the ones I did on my ailerons. The ailerons came out with about a .100" radius as opposed to the .125" radius on the plans. My flaps have about a .180" radius. I checked the plans for both, and sure enough the flaps show about a .175" radius. Anyway, put next to each other it the difference looks like ****. Any reason they are not the same? I'm thinking now maybe I should build new ailerons at some point, cause there's no way to change them now. I WAS so happy with how things were going till I saw this

Any of you notice this? How does it look on the finished plane?

If you really want to get worried, read the section in the construction manual about flight testing. It indicates that the trailing edges have a huge impact on control feel.

yep...

I did see that. I'm wondering about it, but not really worried too much. I'm gonna have the EAA tech guy over for another visit soon. My Mooney has no radius on the trailing edge... It's simply a sheet metal edge. Elevators and rudders too.

Back