What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aileron/flap misalignment

ignacio

i know its common but does anyone have a solution to fix a flap/aileron trailing edge misalignment. if decide to get a new hinge, which one? AN357 P4which is 1 1/2 in. seems just a little too wide or should i just kick myself in the butt and go on.

thanks

Mix-n-match

i know its common but does anyone have a solution to fix a flap/aileron trailing edge misalignment. if decide to get a new hinge, which one? AN357 P4which is 1 1/2 in. seems just a little too wide or should i just kick myself in the butt and go on.

thanks

The sizes can be mixed-n-matched.... so just replacing one side will give you only half of the extra width.

PS it's a AN257 or more correctly a MS20257P hinge

oh thats what i meant. thanks for the info. so i can use a AN257 hinge with 1 1/4 in on the wing side and a 1 1/2 in on the flap side. to correct the misalignment

thanks

hinge

I didn't look up the hinge P/N listed above but you want the hinge that is extruded and not the hinge that has the tangs just bent around the hinge pin.

I might be stating the obvious but the diffence is great.

Wrong statement....

I didn't look up the hinge P/N listed above but you want the hinge that is extruded and not the hinge that has the tangs just bent around the hinge pin.

I might be stating the obvious but the diffence is great.

Certainly look up the part numbers.... the tang spacing is identical so the -P4 will mesh with a -P3 side.

On the RV-6 it is a AN 257-P3 hinge.

It IS the one with the tangs just bent around the pin. I don't believe Van changed it on the later model planes.

As always, check before you buy, forum information is often wrong....:)
The difference may be great, but is probably not applicable here.
For reference, the extruded hinge is a MS20001P

Nope, still rolled

The hinge that came with mine (RV-8) was the rolled variety. You can order the extruded hinge from Wicks or Spruce, but IIRC it is considerably more expensive than the rolled variety. It is REALLY nice though. The difference being that the drag forces on the extended flap in flight could be enough to unroll the eyelets :rolleyes: and dislocated your flaps. I'm not sure what force would be required to do that, but of the thousands of RV's flying, I am not aware of any that have experienced flap separation in flight.

It would be like bumping all your rivets and bolts up one size to make the whole plane stronger.

Ultimately more secure? Sure
Realistic concern? Highly unlikely.

Back