What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Control Stops

jrouault

Well Known Member
Patron
I checked the travel limits of my ailerons the other day and they were right at the up and down maximum limits recommended by Van's. This was without any control stops in place. I saw from other threads that people are adding the stops per Vans plans, or are using delrin spacers. Any reason why I would need to add the stops if I am at the max travel limits but not over? Do I want to be a little under the limits? I do have some 1/2" delrin that I can add if need be. How much would that bring me under the max travel limits?

Thanks,

Jason

Stops should be required

The reason for stops is not just to limit the throw, but to provide an appropriate blockage for the mechanism to hit against. SOMETHING is stopping your controls, what is it, and what can be damaged by repeated smacks?

My RV-4 did not have stops on either the ailerons or elevators when I bought it. The Canadian inspector required them to be put in place, and it made a lot of sense to me.

I agree with Mark

they might be limiting by the push rod hitting the sides of the hole or some thing in that nature but you want to have a positive stops.

Mehrdad

You need "hard" stops..

There is a possibility that if the controls don't hit a "hard" stop they can travel beyond the apparent "natural" stop if subject to large forces or flexure of the airframe. In the extreme, and depending on the particular design bell cranks could flip over center and jam or control surfaces could resonate or flutter due to the potential lower stiffness of the "natural" or "end of travel" stop.

The ailerons are currently positively stopping where one would place the delrin. I think I will go ahead and add a small amount of delrin and bring the travel range under the max limits.

Put the stops in, but don't be concerned about limiting the travel a few degrees short of the recommended limits. You'll find that max deflection isn't usable due to airflow separation on the nose of the aileron going trailing edge UP anyway...

Back