What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Bracket Question

jlfernan

Well Known Member
It's a little hard to see in the photo, but I'm building a 9A QB. When I mounted my left aileron for the first time, I noticed that after tightening things up, the screw does not go thru the bearing square to the bracket. The larger washer nearly touches the bracket on one side. I put a 10L washer between the bearing and this washer and now have plenty of clearance. I did check that the washers were flat first. The bracket is about 1/32" out of square but the aileron movement is smooth. I just need assurance that this is fine.

Last edited:
Looks like your hinge bracket has a little twist to it, or was riveted on at a slght angle. No big deal imho...that's what's great about the bearing. It'll align to whatever angle the aileron bracket is oriented. If the aileron bracket doesn't rub the hinge bracket I'd assume you're fine.

You could try to take the twist out, but that's probably not worth bothering.

Quote:"My wife says she never see's me since I got my Aluminum Mistress!"

Quote:"My wife says she never see's me since I got my Aluminum Mistress!"

You to hu?

Yup its fine

As Dan said the bearing features a barell shaped bearing which is designed to take up out of alignment.

Be sure to use the 1/2 nylon spacer as the aileron stop...Much easier to fit.

Frank

Nothings rubbing. I just want to be sure putting that thin 10L washer between the bearing and the larger washer won't cause a problem.

jlfernan said:
Nothings rubbing. I just want to be sure putting that thin 10L washer between the bearing and the larger washer won't cause a problem.
Nope, not imho. Those parts (including your extra washer) move in unison when installed correctly.

Back