What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Bracket hole?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I just noticed on the plans that this hole (see red arrow) has to be counter-sunk. The countersink cage will not work on this hole because of the nature of the angled piece of aluminum, so how do I countersink it?

I tried a few turns with my deburring tool but that doesn't work. Is there another tool I don't know about that I can use to countersink this hole?

Thanks!

Grinder

Its been awhile, but i think this is where i took the cage of the countersink and ground it down to fit in that spot. I figured there would be more places just like it and i think there was/is. There may be another tool but this worked for me.

Try taking the counter sink cage off. I would practice on a scrap piece first, just go slow and check the depth often.

Basic question.
When you used the deburring tool, did you use the piloted countersink bit in it? The chattering looks like non-piloted effects.

I have countersunk many holes "freehand" using deburr handle and countersink bit. It is easy and does a good job if you take your time and are careful.

Thanks for the replies. Ah! I did not use a piloted countersink when I did this and I stopped because of the chattering. I didn't think to use one :rolleyes:

I'll try some of your suggestions and I'm sure it will come out great.

On a number of occasions I have used my angle drill adapter with a piloted countersink cutter to countersink in tight places, free hand. Go slow, keep the bit perpindicular, and it isn't top hard.

Chris

Let me add another vote for doing it freehand. I chuck the piloted countersink cutter into a cordless drill with no cage and just turn it real slowly taking only a little bit at the time, testing the depth often with a rivet. The risk, of course, is going too far, but I have not found that to be a problem if I'm (1) patient, and (2) use only the 3-flute cutter. The 1-flute cutter sold by Cleveland and others cuts too fast for me to control freehand. I find the 3-flute cutter to be easy to control if you are careful.

+1 on the freehand method. I did those holes by using the countersink cutter screwed onto a drill extention and turning it slowly with my cordless drill. Worked great...

I'm not positive, but I seem to remember using my deburring extension and a countersink bit in the drill press (run at low speed or turn the chuck by hand to avoid whipping). I've also done quite a few freehand.

Back