What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron bending...

mototopo

Well Known Member
I just managed to bend the trailing edge of the ailerons, they are straight but I think I ended up with a bend radius too small.. maybe a little less than 3/32. :(

How this will affect the flying characteristic of the plane?
The ailerons are still open so maybe I can try some fix, but how?

Thanks for your help!

You can fix it by tapping on the trailing edge with a deadblow or rubber mallet but I would just leave it alone. A tight trailing edge gives you better flutter margin but does increase the stick forces slightly. An RV with a heavy stick forces is still lighter than the majority of aircraft out there.

AKA Build on.

A smaller radius trailing edge will result in a stiffer control feel, a larger radius in a lighter feel. That is true for rudders and elevators too. Of all the RV's I have flown (dozens) I have not experienced one with controls too stiff but several had control feel so light it eliminated all aerodynamic feed back. I would leave it alone, I think it will be alright. If it turns out too stiff for your liking the cure is to place a board against the trailing edge and tap it with a hammer. That will take some of the radius out of the trailing edge but I would not do it unless it is necessary.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

Wow! You guys are so fast!!! :)

Well, if the only result in a small radius will be an increasing in stick force, I can leave it as is... I don't like too light feedback.

Thank you very much!!! If tou plan a trip to Italy there is a beer for you! ;)

Back