What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Bellcrank Range

macrafic

Well Known Member
I'm building a 7A. For those of you who have installed the push tubes in the wings, how close does the arm of the aileron bellcrank come to the main spar when it swings? Is there room to route wires underneath the bellcrank, possibly using a bit of 5/8" tubing just between the ribs that contain the bellcrank to protect the wiring? I expanded the middle tooling holes in the ribs for the wiring and this brings the wiring right under the arm of the bellcrank. I could instead expand the tooling hole in the rib on either side of the middle one, moving the wiring out from under the bellcrank arm, but I'm fearful of weakening the rib by doing so (2 large 5/8" holes too close together). Appreciate your help.

macrafic said:
I'm building a 7A. For those of you who have installed the push tubes in the wings, how close does the arm of the aileron bellcrank come to the main spar when it swings? Is there room to route wires underneath the bellcrank, possibly using a bit of 5/8" tubing just between the ribs that contain the bellcrank to protect the wiring? I expanded the middle tooling holes in the ribs for the wiring and this brings the wiring right under the arm of the bellcrank. I could instead expand the tooling hole in the rib on either side of the middle one, moving the wiring out from under the bellcrank arm, but I'm fearful of weakening the rib by doing so (2 large 5/8" holes too close together). Appreciate your help.

I've got QB wings. I enlarged the holes you describe to 3/4" and ran polyethylene irrigation tube through them. They fit under the bellcranks (barely). Then I read
this and panicked. I had enlarged the holes shown in the diagram beyond the allowable based on that drawing. I emailed Van's tech support. I was told that the hole was ok, but I got a hard time for using rather heavy tubing. The good news there when I weighed the tube was that it was 5 oz. per wing, so I'm probably ok (and it's smooth inside, thus easier to pull wires through). Still, I'm going to abandon those holes and drill the ones shown in the lower right of the drawing. I just don't like the limited clearance under the bell cranks.

Back