What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron bellcrank plate nut holes

n174sw

I have a wing kit I bought last summer. The aileron bellcrank has holes drilled for plate nuts. I was wondering if the plate nut holes are there for the attachment of the Dynon autopilot servo which I plan to use.

Hi guys,

Looks like this thread went dead without the original question being answered, the current 7 bellcranks come with predrilled hole for the actuator/tiered end bolt to go through.

But also plate nut wing holes either side of that hole.

Sahrens log shows nice photo of standard dynon install with bolt and nut, however is an acceptable alternate installation to use a plate nut mounted onto the bellcrank with the bolt running bottom to top?

I presume Vans pre punched the nut plate holes for a reason??

Just trying to work out if I should put a plate nut in there while there's easy access?

Looks like this thread went dead without the original question being answered,?

???? I repeat my "Yes" answer with more detail. Trutrac initiated this mounting style and sold brackets for it. In the beginning, they would sell the brackets prior to selling the servos. Dynon copied the Trutrac servo physical format for competitive reasons. GRT did too at a much later date. I understand Trutrac stopped selling the brackets up front. In order for brackets to be in the plane and no servos in the builders hands (to cause the original question), they have to be Trutrac brackets. The mounting and connections ARE THE SAME for all three. Clear?

Last edited:
Mmm... Clear as clear can be. Dynon and GRT copied the TruTrack mounting brackets right.

So...

What are the plate nut holes for?

Dynon don't use them?

And so Sahrens didn't use them as per Dynon instructions.

So I'm presuming cause Dynon copied TruTrack and then GRT copied both or either and Dynon don't use them, so none of them use them? Are we kinda back to the original question?

I have a wing kit I bought last summer. The aileron bellcrank has holes drilled for plate nuts. I was wondering if the plate nut holes are there for the attachment of the Dynon autopilot servo which I plan to use.

For which the answer is no.

So what are they for?

"is an acceptable alternate installation to use a plate nut mounted onto the bellcrank with the bolt running bottom to top?

I presume Vans pre punched the nut plate holes for a reason??

Just trying to work out if I should put a plate nut in there while there's easy access?

Riddle me that Batman:confused :confused:

Last edited:
OK, I get it. I was not aware that the other servo mfgs for some mysterious reason specify a bolt and nyloc. Trutrac specifies the nutplate.

But good grief, an argument over nylok vs a nutplate is silly. They are functionally equivalent with the all steel nutplate having an edge in thermal range which is irrelevant in this application.

You have the option to build it as you please. YOU are the builder of record.

You've raised another interesting question, nut plate superior "thermally" to nyloc?

Is this just because there is no plastic?

Just interested, never herd that statement before.

The only issue I can see with TruTrac install version with nut plate is bolt runs bottom to top so if it worked its way loose potentially drop jam situation, otherwise it seams like a more convenient option.

Obviously TruTrac did this for a reason and Dynon, GRT, and trio opted for nut and bolt for a reason, Vans predrilled the plate nut holes for TruTrac or for a reason?

Oh well, now we all know plate nut holes in bellcrank are for TruTrac install, sorry wasn't trying to be adversarial, just trying to work out what the holes were for.

A picture paints a thousand words as the saying goes.

Back