What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Bellcrank Bracket

JimB

Hi everybody, I've just started on my wing spars. I have a question about the W-823 aileron bellcrank bracket and W-731 tie down bar assembly. The bellcrank bracket is attched into k1000-3 platenuts on the tiedown assembly. I see no provisions for safety wire or lockwashers, am I missing something? It seems to me that as these are critical and should be locked somehow.

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

The platenut is the locking portion of the assembly. If you do not
tap it out it is built to hold it. Add torque value to it when you
set your torque to 20-25 inch pounds.
Hope this helps.

Jim,

You're not missing anything. The bolts that hold the bellcrank brackets to the spar are held in place by just the nutplate friction. If you wanted to safety them, you could drill a hole in the head of the bolts and safety wire them together.

-7A

Hi Jim, Not really sure on the -7A plans, but it seems to me that the platenuts are self locking, similar to regular steel locknuts. The threads are squeezed slightly smaller on two sides than the hardware that screws into them. Hope this helps.
Allan

I have seen sites that say not to install the top bracket yet because you will have to remove them later. Of course I installed them and bolted it to torque specs. Anyone know if the locking mechanism of the plate nut stops working if you unscrew the bolt and reinstall the bolt later?

nut plate

I believe that the nut plate will continue to act as a lock for some time. Don't take a tap to it to make it easier to tighten a bolt into it. This will defeat the self locking design.

Back