What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron bellcrank/bottom skin order?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I am ready to rivet the bottom skins on my wings. The order in the manual is to rivet the bottom skins, and then later install the WD-421 aileron bellcrank. It seems to me that installing the bellcrank now while the wing is open would be much easier!

Is there a reason not to? Does it get in the way of riveting the skins?

Thanks!

You won't have any problem installing the bellcrank after riveting the skins. In fact it will probably be easier to rivet the skins without the bellcrank in the way.

I have always installed all the bellcranks and pushrods before riveting on the skin because there is a lot better access - then removed it all to do the rivetting, then re-installed it all in final assembly.

Nothing is ever "permanently" installed.... ;)

Yes, Paul, it's probably a good idea to trial fit it before riveting the bottom skins. I had an issue where the pivot bolt hole in one of my roll servo brackets was mislocated from the factory. While I could have dealt with that after the bottom skins were on, it was a lot easier to take care of it beforehand.

Ya I think I would agree with that too. I have all my bellcrank pieces together so I will get them built, test fit, and then move on to the bottom wing skins. Thanks all!

Back