What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron bearing

N162RV

Does anybody out there have the part numbers for the aileron bearing on a 6A handy? I am at work and need to order some and I don't have the info.

Scott:

From my preview plans (full size are at the hangar....sorry) that bearing is listed as:

Aurora Com-3-5. A quick attempt to find it at Van's site came up empty. You may have to order the airleron mounts as assembled by Vans.

Part numbers for those are: Left wing inboard: W-413L
Right wing inboard: W-413R

Left wing outboard: W-414L
Right wing outboard: W-414R

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Last edited:
I just ordered one from Van's about two days ago. I think one of mine dropped onto the shop floor and I must have vacuumed it up. Anyway, I ordered it using the Com-3-5 number and they knew what it was. Two day delivery was expensive but...... the bearing was cheap....like $0.75!

Cheers, Pete

PS. I asked them how you change one, and I was told to drill out the rivets and install a new one and rivet the original pieces back together. I asked if the tiny pinholes in the outer bearing shell were for lubrication. They were not sure but they just oil them once in a while!?!?

Drill out rivets?

I just talked to Ken at Van's about these bearings. I was under the impression that they were pressed in and it would not be a problem to change. Well I was informed otherwise. i was told that these are "Captured" bearings meaning they are between the plates of the hinge brackets and that I would have to drill out the rivets and disasemble the hinges in order to change the bearings. How big a deal is this? Looks like the flap and the wing tip will need to be removed at the least... Looking for input from those who have done this.

Back