What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron and both flaps back ordered. Where to start while waiting

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I finished my empennage in March and ordered my QB kit for the RV 9A on 3/30 and it was finally delivered last week. As I was doing my inventory, I noticed that one aileron and both flaps were listed as "back-ordered". I called Van's to find out how that happened when I thought that the whole kit was sent as a unit to the Philippines for assembly. They were "sort-off" vague.

The bottom line is that it will take at least another month for these parts to be shipped to me. I am now left with the decision of where to start work while waiting. I notice that most start on the wings but the steps seem to progress from the aileron to flap instalation and then on. What to do?

If I start on the fuse, the first step would seem to be to assemble the rudder pedals and other "stuff" in cockpit. If I do that they will be in the way for drilling the wing rear spar.

Where should I start? I hope I don't have to wait a month.
Cleve

There should be lots to do anyway. Like figuring out where you are going to put landing lights: in the leading edge, or tips. You could do your wing wiring now. Even start your fiberglass work! It helps me to make up, as I go along, list(s) of things I need to do. That way, when I hit a dead end, I can always revert to the list and find something else to do. Hope this helps..........

What to do next??

Cleve,

Don't waste a month of building time waiting for the flaps/ailerons. There are hundreds of little things you can be doing in the mean time. I didn't go with quickbuild so I don't know entirely where you need to start.

The rudder pedals and associated hardware would be a good place to start. You don't have to mount them permanently. Get them made and in place and then just set them aside until you are ready to put them in.

Just start looking for little projects you can tackle until you stuff arrives. Just flip through the manual and pick something out. You could maybe work on the roll bar (tip-up), that will take you some time. You could work on the seat backs. You could install the flap motor. You could work on the panel area structure.

Keep the building ball rolling!

Thanks guys,

I will begin plugging away. I am still bogged down in trying to get all the parts inventoried and stored in bins so that I can find the parts when I need them....I hope

cleve_thompson said:
Thanks guys,

I will begin plugging away. I am still bogged down in trying to get all the parts inventoried and stored in bins so that I can find the parts when I need them....I hope

Don't worry about the aileron and flaps for a while. Thinking back to my QB, tasks that could be done without flaps (in fact I think this is the order I did the wings):

* Make the aileron attach brackets
* Rivet brackets to wing
* Rivet flap gap filler piece to aft spar
* Conduit for wiring
* match drill and dimple the outer skins
* landing lights
* aileron bellcranks
* fuel senders
* pitot
* rivet on the bottom skin (double check this one, but can't see how it makes a diff with the control surfaces)

Plenty for a month ;-) I think it is way better to get the wings as done as possible before starting on the fuse. Its much better to have 80% of your project 100% done than to have 100% of your project 80% done. :D

btw: since nothing about the control surfaces are 'matched' to the rest of the plane I bet the QB folks do them in batches.

Last edited:
No personal experience, but I've heard Van's recommends don't assume everythings done and proper with a QB. I've heard Van's recommends you go through each step and verify its been done correctly. Everything's probably ok, but why not make sure? Check those torques, verify the hardware.
Even though you've probably read the book fifty times, physically seeing is better than mentally contemplating.

N674P said:
No personal experience, but I've heard Van's recommends don't assume everythings done and proper with a QB. I've heard Van's recommends you go through each step and verify its been done correctly. Everything's probably ok, but why not make sure? Check those torques, verify the hardware.
Even though you've probably read the book fifty times, physically seeing is better than mentally contemplating.

I concur - It's crazy not to do this. Gotta check it all.

Back