What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Age and NW/TW debate

tspear

Well Known Member
Skipping all the other points mentioned in so many other threads about STOL performance, cruise, looks....

I am only thinking of how does age affect which one is better? I can think of the following categories, but not being old enough to retire yet I do not know the answers, are there other considerations?
1. Insurance. This has appeared in other threads. TW is harder and more expensive to ensure. As you get above 70, it becomes harder to get and keep insurance. Does TW affect this?
2. Loading and unloading bags. e.g. which is easier to put stuff in?
3. Getting in and out.

What other aspects am I missing?

Tim

Well there is the obvious - a TW airplane takes more skill, finesse, and let's say "sensory perceptiveness" to land safely than a NW airplane. These things degrade as one ages.

Tim,
I'm 73 and my son and I have owned 3 RVs over the span of the last 10 years. All were/are tailwheel airplanes. Its true that TW insurance is more expensive but is a few hundred dollars a year going to make or break it either way? As for the age thing, there has been no discernible impact as I know it......no premium increase that is age related, no bigger hassle....just the same annual process. As for loading, I think the taildraggers are easier to load. As for getting in and out, I must admit that a step may be in the future for our RV-8.

Tim,
I'm 73 and my son and I have owned 3 RVs over the span of the last 10 years. All were/are tailwheel airplanes. Its true that TW insurance is more expensive but is a few hundred dollars a year going to make or break it either way? As for the age thing, there has been no discernible impact as I know it......no premium increase that is age related, no bigger hassle....just the same annual process. As for loading, I think the taildraggers are easier to load. As for getting in and out, I must admit that a step may be in the future for our RV-8.
Just wait until you turn 75; there will be a discernible impact...if you can even get someone to quote the policy.

I think item 1 depends as much or more on on experience, how much you fly, and (mainly) time in type. I've read a lot of posts from people getting into TW aircraft or even experienced TW pilots getting into a new RV taildragger, and it seems it's always high starting out (and especially so if you're over 70). On the other hand if you're aging into it you're a lot better off. Or at least based on my experience - I'm > 65, fly a TW RV-6, and my insurance is a lot lower than anyone I've read about here or talked to (but who knows what will happen when I hit 70). I attribute that to the fact that more than half of my ~2700 hrs is in TW aircraft, mostly in type, and that I fly regularly, and have some ratings (instrument and seaplane).

Regarding ingress, egress and baggage loading - I have a little fold-up stool which I don't really need but I sometimes pull out for aging friends or when loading baggage. If you ever get to the point where that's difficult, it's pretty easy to work around it with something like that.

As for 2 and 3, That's why Van's designed the RV15.....:)

Many of us are waiting.
Lol, I am biased against high wing planes. I am 5ft 10, and that seems to be the perfect height to hit my head on every Cessna high wing. If they were three inches lower to the ground, they would be in my eyesight. If they were six inches higher (since pitot and other items hang from the bottom) I likely would never hit my head either.

Tim

Just wait until you turn 75; there will be a discernible impact...if you can even get someone to quote the

Just wait until you turn 75; there will be a discernible impact...if you can even get someone to quote the policy.
No big deal. There's going to come a time when all of us have to decide that it's probably time to do something else. I got my A&P just so I can continue to help others when that time comes. Fifty nine years of flying and being qualified in everything from Champs to RVs to supersonic jet to P-51 Mustang. I can honestly say I was fortunate. Arthritis is going to ground me before the insurance company.

We unquestionably lose some physical abilities as we age. The nosewheel aircraft are easier. I don't think there is much to debate as it applies to landing the thing.

Insurance, passenger and bag loading? Mehhh. Insurance isn't really a choice; rates appear to rise with age regardless of landing gear type. At least for the -8, bag loading is easier with the tailwheel. And as Warren notes, a huge driver for the RV-15 will be the ease of entry and exit. Personally I think it will sell more RV-15's than any dreams of bush flying.

Last edited:
Back