What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aftermarket products for the RV-8

100MU

I'm New Here
Hi all, I am in the beggining stages of commiting to an RV-8 build (selling my PA-22 has to happen first) I would like to know what type of aftermarket products are available. I have searched the Vans forums and found Todd's canopies and James Aircraft cowlings and wheel fairings. What other companies are out there? I would like to start a list of Aftermarket products and mods.

Thanks
Dave

Not necessarily "-8" aftermarket products but here's a few I used...

Classic Aero Designs The finest interior for RV's. Before you sit in the fuse, get the "Black Pinch Welt For Glare Shield". OK, sit in it, reach down under the panel, bang your head a couple of times on the glare shield and then you'll call them. Man that hurts!

Aero-Strategies Unlimited Unless you like doing fiberglass.

Steinair The best people in the RV community to work with, period. I hesitate to claim Steinair as the best because ALL of the vendors I have worked with have been really good but Paul, Jed and Stein have the right attitude when it comes to service. BTW, they're part of the RV community as well. Stein and his employees are builders too!

FlyBoy AccessoriesEventually, you'll need some decals, err, "graphics". Vince has been awesome to work with. Be sure to check out his Rocket as well.

AeroElectric Connection You'll need this book and if you have questions, connect with the author on the Aero Electric - List.
Buy the "AeroElectric Connection" book and most of what you need at B&C Specialty Products

Strobes n More

After three and a half years I have only had one problem with a vendor and I'm still waiting for him to come through. Not too bad considering the amount of money that has changed hands and 95% of the business done across the Internet.

more companies

crow harnesses
classic aero designs upholstery
vetterman exhaust
mil-spec and skybolt 1/4 turn cowl fasteners
doug bell and aviation products - tail-wheel makers
nonstopaviation hidden oil door hinge
whirl wind propellers (200RV)
jantzi/rocket steering links

not to mention many electronic EFIS and EMS systems that have spawned from the experimental market, mainly RV's.

Its really amazing to me the huge chain of cottage industries that Van has germinated, not to mention the small OEM supply companies that he uses for kit part fabrication (welders, composite builders, etc)

Grove Gear

What about the Grove aluminum airfoil landing gear? They save 11 pounds, they look cool, and you don't have to build the gear-leg fairings. They do cost more than stock - price is about $1800, less the credit Vans gives you for deleting the steel gear legs and fiberglass fairings (Think it's about $600, but not sure....)
Jay Pratt has them on Borrowed Horse RV-8. It's easy to find a picture.....
Have fun!!

Aftermarket Parts

Thanks folks for replying to this thread. Please keep 'em coming. I intend to complile a list from all the replies.

Thanks
Dave

Back