What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aftermarket Elevator Trim Cable Attach Brackets

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
After reading around on VAF and other places, I've become worried about the elevator trim cable attach brackets that come with the RV-10 tail kit. These are piece WD-415, which are stainless steel plates (small and thin) with a nut welded to them at the proper angle to receive the trim cable. Mine appear to be in good condition.
There have been several recommendations to use after-market replacements for these, but those recommendations are from fairly long ago. Has Vans fixed the apparent issues with these parts, or is it recommended by the VAF community to use an after-market substitute?

Mike, as I recall, the early units were spot welded where the nut meets the plate, and later ones were welded the entire length of the flat on the nut.

Some of the early spot welded ones broke loose.

For what it is worth, I used the one piece alum machined ones in my plane, and am quite happy with them.

They were fixed

Mike, I think the early ones were spot welded on one side of the nut and the new ones are welded on both sides. I decided to put my extra dollars elsewhere and kept it stock...but the aftermarket product is elegant and simple. -David

My kit 40936 had welds on both sides so I left them as is. 120 hours and no problems. The aftermarket ones Steve make look nice though.

same bracket for the -9?

I'm not a builder, but would this be the same part for my -9a?
sounds like one would be about $20, ......a bargain ( compared to the work to install it, if it's even possible! anyone done the retro-fit????)

Last edited:
Back