What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aftermarket Cylinders

Low Pass

Well Known Member
Friend
Curious to hear any reports from those running aftermarket cylinders over the last 4-8 years. I've got a set of tired ECi cylinders that are going to need to be replaced or overhauled in the next few months and just doing some research. Mine are at about 750 hours and are running great, with the exception of increasing blowby and oil consumption. Tempted to just have overhauled...

I was very impressed with the noticeably improved appearance of the cylinders when purchased 6-7 years ago, verses those of 15-20+ years ago. Very clean castings and just looked like a better made part.

Actual reports would be appreciated. Not conducting an opinion survey.

Thanks!

Curious to hear any reports from those running aftermarket cylinders over the last 4-8 years. I've got a set of tired ECi cylinders that are going to need to be replaced or overhauled in the next few months and just doing some research. Mine are at about 750 hours and are running great, with the exception of increasing blowby and oil consumption. Tempted to just have overhauled...

I was very impressed with the noticeably improved appearance of the cylinders when purchased 6-7 years ago, verses those of 15-20+ years ago. Very clean castings and just looked like a better made part.

Actual reports would be appreciated. Not conducting an opinion survey.

Thanks!
Not all ECI cylinders are created equal.

IF they are the through hardened steel, they should have very little oil consumption and good compression.

IF they are the ECI coated cylinders (CermiNil?), your problem could be the "plasma" coated rings.

I had very early Millennium investment cast cylinders. 2,200 hours and was using a quart of oil every 6 or 7 hours but the valve guides failed the Lycoming wobble test. Tried to overhaul them and in less than 11-hours one of the seats separated from the head. I had S/Ns 008, 009, 010, & 011.

Have 4 ECI through hardened cylinders. I can run anywhere from 25 to 45 hours till the oil is down on the dipstick needing a quart. Typically I just change the oil instead of adding. This is the 2nd engine with ECI cylinders and the first one had the same type of oil consumption after 850 hours. That engine was taken out of service with a crack in the crankcase and replaced with another.

Last edited:
Is its big bore (470, 520, 550)? I have a ton of experience (have not kept track of data) but find most big bore need something usually exhaust valve, more bore wear (rings, blowby) on turbos under 1000 hrs. Small bore Continentals, usually go double the big bore. Manufacturer, no diff. Just me and my MANY years of experience of ownership and working on hundreds of them....

Still looking for recent observations and experiences with aftermarket cylinders.
I had ECI cylinders for 1400 hours until one exhaust valve failed the wobble test. Replaced all six with Millennium cylinders. They look pretty. I now have 400 hours on the new cylinders and have the same oil consumption as ECI cylinders; one QT every 10 hours on long cross country legs and more consumption on local flights (I don't know why). The cylinders and pistons must be assembled by the installer, unlike ECI. This could have caused one broken ring shortly after their installation, possibly as a result of faulty assembly (my speculation). Millennium replaced the cylinder under warranty, no questions asked. So far, all is well.

I Have one weak cylinder on a 1900+ hour O-360 A1A that i need to replace. Hopefully without starting a Primer/Tailwheel/Tip-up war, where is a good place to buy one? -Ben

I Have one weak cylinder on a 1900+ hour O-360 A1A that i need to replace. Hopefully without starting a Primer/Tailwheel/Tip-up war, where is a good place to buy one? -Ben
I think Gibson aviation will sell you an overhauled one directly. If you send them your old one they will discount it a bit.

I now have over 500 hours in 7 years (I know, just getting broken in) on ECI Nickel cylinders that were installed after their original ones were AD'd. Oil consumption is maybe 1 qt per 10 hours, and they look near new each year on the borescope.

Back