What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

After the big cut question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I made the big cut today. I have smoothed the edges but did not try to block sand them to take out the waves. I am thinking about waiting till after the canopy and windshield are fastened in place to the frame. Is this the best way to organize this work? What grit sandpaper is best for the evening up part?
Thanks in advance!

I'd sand the edges....

IMHO, I'd sand the edges. Until the canopy is finally fixed to the frame, handling it always tweeks and twists it.... and is just asking for an edge cut nick to propogate. I sanded mine with 220 grit.

Charles,
If you don't have one of these tools, they are totally worth it. Makes cleaning up the edges short work, and they come out very clean.

Cheers,
I agree with Jordan. The tool makes short work of an otherwise tedious task while producing a consistent bevel. Then, if you really want to polish the edge, a follow up using a block fitted with wet 600 grit paper will bring out a highly polished finish. Finishing the edges does not take very long and IMHO the tool is well worth its modest cost.

Since I'm working on the canopy now, my recipe is as follows:
Belt sander, 80 grit
Palm sander, 120 grit, then 150.
Sponge pad, 220 grit with some rounding of the corners.
Silky.
Now, I do have the tool Rick and Jordan mention, and will try that next, but it won't accomplish the cleaning of the flat cut nor do any straightening like the belt sander - it is a beveling tool.

Immediately after every canopy cutting session I sanded the edges down first with #80, then #400 sand paper on a palm sander. You can work a lot of uneven edges out with the #80 sand paper. First I sanded perpendicular to canopy to remove flaws and unevenness, then at 45 degrees to knock off the hard edges - not to round the edges, but just to put a slight bevel on them. After doing the same with the #400 paper, the edges are as smooth as glass.

Thanks for all the tips. I am getting close to having it finished now.
Something I found out worked well as a last step is to go over the edges with a cotton buffing wheel run in an electric drill with white compound. It gives the edge a mirror finish.

wrap a sanding belt around a board

I cut my canopy with the multi-tool, so the edge was pretty good to start with. I ended up going with 120 grit on a palm sander to knock off any chunks and start the process. Next was a 160 grit sanding belt wrapped around a chuck of 2x4. That made everything nice and flat. After that, back to the palm sander for 220, 320, 400 grit passes. It isn't mirror finish, but it looks pretty good to me. I might try the polishing trick before I glue it on.

Back