What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft tube, WD-617 tipup canopy frame.

John Courte

Well Known Member
I must have missed it in the plans and the instructions, but I'm a little confused as to what happens with the holes in the aft tube of the WD-617 tipup canopy frame. The instructions have you match-drilling holes along the centerline of the aft tube (Really fun trying to find and mark that) using the skin as a guide, but they don't specify whether or not the holes go all the way through the tube. Do blind rivets go here, with the expansion on the inside of the tube or do long AN426 rivets go all the way through and get bucked/squeezed on the inboard side?

cheers and happy new year,
-John

Only drill #40 (for now) into the top part of the tube, assuming you can see the centerline. 1/8" blind rivets will be used eventually. I had to take a hammer the tube and frame some to get the tube centerline close to the skin holes on one side. I just did all this only a couple weeks ago myself.

Think you mean WD-716

Dwg 49 in zone 4C sends you to Dwg 28 (C-702 Tip up canopy fwd skin see dwg 28 for rivet call outs).
Dwg 28 zone 3B-3C (C-702 fwd Skin Detail) indicates that the fasteners will be CS4-4 blind fasteners.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the clarification!

Looks like I'm good to go. Fortunately I didn't drill all the way through that tube and they're all still at #40.

Back