What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aft seat floor question

KitfoxJoe

First, merry Christmas to all. I have been scratching my head over this question for a few weeks now. The inner edge of the aft seat floor is pre punched for nut plates. Why? I am thinking that the 716 seat ribs (the ones that form the tunnel) should have the nut plates. Then the aft seat floor and the tunnel cover plate would be screwed down. The only answer I can come up with is the aft seat floors are pre punched for nut plates is so that you can match drill the seat ribs. Am I correct? Thanks Joe

The plans intent is for the builder to match drill and install nutplate rivets thru rib and floor.

You may want to consider adding a couple of nutplates in the rib shear webs for attaching Adels for the harness.

I did not, but instead added a few more csink holes for number 8 flatheads in the flange you asked about. You can do this later if you want to add upside down Adels with a screw and nut on that flange under the cover.

Last edited:
F-742 aft seat floor

Merry Christmas!
DWG 25 shows the F-742 aft seat floor is riveted to the seat ribs with pop rivets except at the tunnel where is riveted in with platenuts. The tunnel cover is removable, the aft seat floor is not.

I chose to put nutplates in all the ribs (and not rivet them to the skin) so that the seat floors are removable to allow inspection or some flexibility. I snake the wingtip strobe cables through that area also so it was important for me to get to them. I recognize you can always drill out pop rivets but that didn't strike me as a lot of fun.

I also made the baggage floors removable for the same reason so I could keep at an eye at annual on the steps for the 7A.

Back