What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft Gear Leg Holes in Engine Mount...Undersized?

SilverEagle2

Well Known Member
Friend
I've searched here, and maybe I've lost my search mojo...read a number of good and trusted build blogs to no mention...so maybe y'all can help.

My aft gear leg socket holes on my engine mount appear "undersized" while the forward holes are "right-sized" for the AN5 bolts that should go in them.

The build manual is SILENT in my docs about this condition.

Instructions simply say "Installation could scarcely be easer: a round rod is inserted into a round tube and secured with one bolt."

Trouble is...can't get the bolt all the way through.

Is this normal? I see builders who say, slid right in, inserted bolt. Saw some older threads of "had to ream out with a .3110 reamer."

I was able to run a 5/16" reamer through the forward (turning ONLY by hand) clearing the powder coating...but it's not right-sized on the backside.

Can someone give me a lowdown on this?

Thanks!

Measure the inside diameter of each bolt hole and the hole through the gear leg. You may have a slight burr on the inside of the tube or the gear leg. It's ok to "clean up" the hole(s) by drawing ( key verb here ) a 5/16 (.312500") reamer through each one individually.

Thanks Brian,

I checked that first...it's a clean, but undersized hole. I can certainly measure it when I get to the shop later today.

Can you slide the AN5 bolt through the hole in the gear leg until it hits the backside hole? If so, I would install the gear leg into the socket, then carefully push a 5/16" drill bit into the hole on the front of the socket and through the gear leg hole until the bit bottoms out on the backside hole. Then drill out the back side hole - stop drilling once through the backside hole

Proceed with caution - you do not want to "wallow out" the front hole and the gear leg hole in the process.

Back