What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aft fuse j-stringers

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm having trouble understanding the J-stringers for the aft fuselage. on DWG 18 they only show the end trimmed away (upper/inside flange cut-away) for the aft end of the 786B stringers. But it appears to me that to fit against the 706 bulhead the forward end of the B and C stringers will also have to be trimmed in a similar manner. Right now I can't get the tailcone assembly (711/712/779) onto the aft fuselage because the stringers are sticking too far out the back.
Also, it's not clear to me from Drawing 26 how the aft end of the 786C is supposed to fit (be trimmed) against the 712 bulkhead.
Help, anyone?

\ But it appears to me that to fit against the 706 bulhead the forward end of the B and C stringers will also have to be trimmed in a similar manner.

Yes, I believe that's correct. Not sure about your other question, as I don't remember the stringer part numbers.

ok - what's with these stringers

I know the fuse instructions are sparse, but reallly!!

DWG 18 shows a trim detail for the aft end of one of the stringers, but I've been staring at these parts for a bit now and I think more trimming is needed.

There is a note that says "TRIM TO FIT ALL F-786 STRINGERS. FORE AND AFT END CONDTIONS VARY DEPENDING ON THE BULKHEAD. FORE BEST FIT, NOTE THE ANGLE BETWEEN STRINGER AND BULKHEAD AND TRIM ACCORDINGLY."

I think this means that ALL ends of ALL 3 stringers need a trim... - 6 stringers in the aft fuse. The basic idea is that the "flat" part of the stringer goes under the bulkhead flange, but the rest of it is trimmed back, flush with the bulkhead.

Do I have this right? Trim ends of all aft fuselage stringers? :confused:

Thanks!

fuse j stringers

i trimmed them like drawings on aft end a little different on front end just enough to keep j part from rubbing on bulkhead.

bob mcmillin
RV-9 N535WP

I just finished this and put my tailcone together. Both ends of the lower stringers (2 on each side, 4 in all) get trimmed per the diagram. On the top two stringers (the shorter ones), only the forward ends get trimmed. However, if you have also trimmed the rear ends of those top stringers, that is OK (according to Vans). Ask me how I know!!!

A photo of mine

I took a photo of one end. If I remember correctly, both ends look pretty much the same.

Thanks guys - I ended up trimming the front end of all 6 stringers and the aft end of 5 of them (don't ask). Looks to me like as long as the flange of the stringer gets between the bulkhead and the skin (with safe edge distances) I'm covered.

Later on I'm gonna go back and relieve a bit of metal off the "J" portion, just so the stringers won't vibrate against the bulkheads.

I wish the plans were more clear, but really the fault is mine... I'm learning to really think about what the plans are trying to say. I bet by the time I'm done with this plane I'll finally understand it well!

dave

I love searching VAF for answers!

The plans state that only the B stringers get trimmed, but after scratching my head on why the C stringers stick out past the 706 bulkhead I come here for a quick search and find this thread.

So it looks like I also need to do the trim shown for the B stringers on the C stringers in order for them to extend through the aft most 712 bulkhead and under the skin.

On the other end at the front of the stringers, it looks like everything gets trimmed similarly.

UPDATE: I just finished scoping all of this out, and it looks like the trim detail gets done on A, B & C stringers at both ends. The A stringers at the aft end could be trimmed less, but I think you still need to make them narrow at the part where they intersect the bulkhead.

Last edited:
Back