What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft deck critical moment

Coling955

Hi all. I'm at the critical stage of riveting the aft deck on. I've got the digital level on the case and currently have 0.5 degrees of twist measuring from the centre section to the rear deck. Can't seem to get it any better than this without the aft deck not lining up on the longerons. Plus, surely the fuse would spring back to being 0.5deg out of true once the deck is riveted onto the lonerons and my temporary clamps removed.

Any advice on this part of the build would be much appreciated as a mistake here would be a disaster.

Thanks,

Colin

My current rocket fuselage came with a bit of a twist built in. I drilled out the top skin and then clamped the fuselage so that it was level. The top skin was then put back in place and drilled up to the next size rivet. This was enough to take out the twist.
I know of other planes that have a twist and they are just as fast. Remember, it is the relationship between the tail and the wing that is important and you could always shim one side of the HS to make it level relative to the wing.

Back