What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft battery ground resistance

dmn056

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm installing aft-mounted batteries. There seem to be alternative schools of thought as to whether to ground the battery negative to the fuselage nearby or to run a heavy ground wire forward to a firewall ground. My fuselage components are fully epoxy primed, so I wondered if there would be a high resistance problem using an aft battery ground.

I made up a low resistance test circuit, based on a Bob Nuckolls constant current design, but using Kelvin clips, and tested the fuselage ground return resistance using a Fluke 97 multimeter. It has a 40mV range, with resolution of 0.01mV, and with the Nuckolls 104mA constant current it resolves to 0.096mΩ.

logistics_2024-08-17_02.png

With one clip on the firewall, and the other at various locations on the longerons near the battery box, it consistently measured about 1.7mΩ.

fuselage_2024-08-18_01.png

This compares well with M22759/16 2AWG wire, which has a nominal resistance of about 2.1mΩ over the same distance. So, looks like battery grounding at the lower aft longeron and a main ground on the firewall is the correct solution for me.

Last edited:
Great post. I have had a few members on the forum here criticize my aft negative battery ground when I showed picture of it in my EarthX installation thread. I have never had a problem whatsoever and it is great to see your results. I wonder how many people have added a few unnecessary pounds to their RV running a negative battery cable from front to back. Thanks.

Aft mounted (RV10) with airframe ground here as well. No issues. I spent too much time unnecessarily second guessing it though.
If it’s good enough for Bob Nuckolls then it’s good enough for me.
Thanks for quantifying it.

Back