What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft baggage side cover prepunched holes mismatch

bruceh

Well Known Member
Friend
Just finishing up the forward fuselage tasks before I can disassemble everything for preparations to rivet.

Got the F-724 and F-722 ribs installed and match drilled. Then I put the F-750 aft baggage covers on. The prepunched holes in the F-750 cover don't line up with the F-722 horizontal rib.

Here is a picture of the overall area.
985808801_8upWx-M.jpg

A closeup of 1 of the 3 mismatched prepunched holes.
985808981_wKQvn-M.jpg

It is like this on both L & R sides and all of the prepunched holes are similarly off by about 3/32".

An LP4-3 pull rivet will eventually connect these, so they will get drilled out to 1/8".

Curiously, DWG 25, Detail D & E have a note about these holes in the F-722:
"Predimple for later installation of baggage side covers"

Why predimple if the rivet callout isn't for a flush rivet?

Should I just go ahead and drill these out to #30, or do I really need to be concerned about the mismatch? Everything else lines up perfectly. It doesn't appear to be particularly structural.

Looking forward in the plans, I love the next paragraph...

"Before the F970 forward side skins can be riveted to the fuselage framework, there is a laundry list of small tasks that must be completed. You may have done some already. If not, complete them now."

That narrows it down! :D
Anyone have a more complete list? I'm hoping to get the prep work done before the Labor Day holiday weekend.

problem solved, faith restored

Came back to it after a break and was able to get a cleco in the holes to line things up. Match drilled to #30. All is right in the world. :p

Still looking forward to getting my "laundry list" done before I take this thing apart for prep.

Back