What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS HRTerrain and approach plates

RNB

Well Known Member
Patron
I am reading the AFS 5600 series manual for a plane I hope to take possession of shortly. It seems that data for approach plates and terrain are stored on a USB stick plugged into the back oof the units. Updates available regularly.

Does this USB need to be accessed through the back of the panel for each update or does the new data stick get plugged in the front of the unit and transfer the data?

Thank you.

No, just get a simple USB extender cable. Plug it into the back of the unit and then secure the socket somewhere at your convenience. I secured mine on the underlip of the panel but depending on the extension you get, you can cut a hole in your panel and make it accessible that way.

Reactions: RNB
No, just get a simple USB extender cable. Plug it into the back of the unit and then secure the socket somewhere at your convenience. I secured mine on the underlip of the panel but depending on the extension you get, you can cut a hole in your panel and make it accessible that way.
Dude, of course!

I am reading the AFS 5600 series manual for a plane I hope to take possession of shortly. It seems that data for approach plates and terrain are stored on a USB stick plugged into the back oof the units. Updates available regularly.

Does this USB need to be accessed through the back of the panel for each update or does the new data stick get plugged in the front of the unit and transfer the data?

Thank you.

Thank you.
I would be very surprised if your new RV10 does not already have these USB ports in the panel. They are labeled "EFIS Data Only", and one is required for each screen. The 5600 does not have the internal storage capability for the big files, (unless it has been upgraded) therefore the need for the USB sticks.

Reactions: RNB
I would be very surprised if your new RV10 does not already have these USB ports in the panel. They are labeled "EFIS Data Only", and one is required for each screen. The 5600 does not have the internal storage capability for the big files, (unless it has been upgraded) therefore the need for the USB sticks.
I’m just reading the manual.

I’m just reading the manual.
The newer AFS 5000 units have a lot more on storage memory. The Seattle Avionics map data that I upload every 28 days gets transferred from my computer to the USB drive, then plugged into the USB extension and uploaded into the EFIS. The high resolution terrain data is maintained on the USB plugged into the second USB port in the back of the unit. The exact storage configuration depends on the vintage of your AFS 5000 series

Last edited:
My AFS is set up like this too.
You just leave the mini USB stick in.

I swap with a second set for updates.
The system asks you if want to load the new map data on restart.

Back