What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS 5600 amps bar graph readings question

dwranda

Well Known Member
My 9A just flew for the first time last Saturday. On Tuesday I was able to go up with my test pilot and almost at the end of the flight we noticed that the amp bar graph was only reading 2 amps. The volts were at 14. The pics attached are from the first flight. The one pic shows the amps at 8 while volts are 14. The other is amps at 17 while volts at 13.7.
My question is does the bar graph show what the electrical system is using from whats being produced? I have the B&C alternator on the vacuum pad as my only alternator. There is so much to learn with this screen and system. Just want to make sure everything looks as though it's working properly. Thanks!
20221217_094807.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

It depends on where you have the amp sensing shunt located in your electrical system. Is it on the feed cable from the alternator? Or is it on the feed cable from the battery? Based on your indications I would guess that it’s on the feed from the battery which is my preferred location. This allows you to monitor the power flow into or out of the battery. It shows when the battery has been fully recharged, and in the case of an alternator failure it shows you how high of a load you have on your battery and you can use it for analysis during load shedding to get the load down to a point that will allow you to finish a flight.

Last edited:
Back