What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP purge valve return line

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
For those with AFP FI, where did you penetrate the firewall for the return line? I'm in the process of plumbing my fuel lines and now's the time to figure this out. I was thinking off putting it near the main fuel line but not having anything mounted FWF I don't know if that's a bad idea or not.

Based on my research of what others have done and where I think things should be on the firewall, I mounted it immediately to the right (as viewed from the pilot's seat) of the main fuel line penetration. I haven't hung the engine yet so don't know for sure that this is best, but I think where there's one fuel line, there may as well be two. I can email a picture if that helps.

Bevan

I haven't gotten there yet, Todd, but I was planning to penetrate near the main line into the tunnel and then along the systems route to the right wing.

RV10 Duh!

My bad. I just realized the question was for the RV10. I'm building an RV7A so my experience has much less relevance.

Bevan

Comes into the right side of the tunnel, close to the bottom.

It then goes under the right seat, and out the root, where it is joined to the tank at the top of the rib, just above the fuel sender hatch.

Comes into the right side of the tunnel, close to the bottom.

It then goes under the right seat, and out the root, where it is joined to the tank at the top of the rib, just above the fuel sender hatch.

Ok, here's what I'm thinking: after looking at layout, I think I'll go directly below the main line penetration but like Mike, towards the bottom so that the line goes underneath the heater vent.

For future reference, I'm teeing into the right tank feed line in the tunnel under the selector valve. I'm using a fitting that I got from Summit Racing that has male 6D flares on both ends and a female 4D NPT hole in the center. This allows you to insert a AN816-4D nipple into the fitting. This inturn allows me to tee the 1/4" return line into the 3/8" tank line.

Ok, here's what I'm thinking: after looking at layout, I think I'll go directly below the main line penetration but like Mike, towards the bottom so that the line goes underneath the heater vent.

For future reference, I'm teeing into the right tank feed line in the tunnel under the selector valve. I'm using a fitting that I got from Summit Racing that has male 6D flares on both ends and a female 4D NPT hole in the center. This allows you to insert a AN816-4D nipple into the fitting. This inturn allows me to tee the 1/4" return line into the 3/8" tank line.

My purge line is symetrical with the fuel line. One on each side of the tunnel.

I'm in the process of swapping all my tunnel lines with lines from TS Filightlines. I also swapped out the AN right angle fiiting that goes to the right tank with a special bulkhead tee from ACS. This makes for a clean attachment of the purge line in front of the fuel selector. I also have a fitting that adapts the -4 to a -6 line.

bob

Lower right

Several options here:
Mine is in the lower right as you can see.
Disregard the hose that T's into the bulkhead fitting, it's my constant flow fuel return system and not part of the AFP installation.
You may plumb it into a feed line as you have planned and according to the AFP manual.
Mine runs directly back to the tank selectable left or right.
Again this is not nessecary if you only have the fuel returning from the purge valve.

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

Last edited:
Back