What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Affordable Panels - Sub Panel?

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I've been working on my switch layout for my panel. I was looking at the Affordable Panels sub-panel since I like the idea of having the switches on a separate piece that could be modified without having to replace the entire panel. I made up some test drawings, but I am concerned about the visibility of the labels since it appears that the sub-panel is recessed. I'm not sure about the depth of the setback and since I don't have a fuse to sit in yet I can't tell the exact viewing angle.

If you are using or have seen one of these switch panels what was your impression? I'd be interested in what others thought. I could just go with the modular panel as an alternative.

I do have one of their panels and have no issues reading the labels. Would I do this again? YES! This is a great panel and since I have already upgraded the panel once, it made it easier to do and I was able to do it in sections.

Also, I put a red EL light strip just above the switches for night flying and it works great.

Here is a picture of the panel:
New%2520Panel%25202.JPG

Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply. I too was thinking about using an LED or EL strip for lighting the switch area. That little recess seems to provide a good way of getting light down onto that area of the panel. Approximately how deep is the recess?

I was considering that approach until I figured out how much it was going to cost for all of those switches.

That's what I thought, too. One can easily spend $500 just on switches!

For those of us installing a Vertical Power unit, the switches aren't wired in series. They don't carry any of the current loads. They only ground a small 22-gauge wire, sending a signal to the VP unit to turn on the device. Therefore, one can use inexpensive switches. If the switch fails, the EFIS can still be used to turn devices on and off. Don't need expensive switches!

Has anyone found some good quality non-TSO'd switches that are reasonably priced for use in a panel with a VP unit? I would really like to find some good rocker switches. The local automotive store has very nice-looking rocker switches for as low as $3.99 each, but I think I'd like something a bit better than those. Something like this that can be engraved would be perfect. I'd happily pay for the engraving, but I don't need a $50 switch.

FYI - Many of the switches I used are switch / breakers with the remaining breakers over on the right side, out of the way.

Simple to build and easy to maintain.

Bruce,

I found some switches which are similar to the one's Gil suggested at Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...virtualkey61170000virtualkey611-CN201J11S215Q

I bought a couple for my FSX panel that I built. They have a reasonable feel, and good specs. They are also about $2.50 each. You might order a couple and see what you think.

I tried to find some other lighted rocker switches but I couldn't find anything that was reasonable. To me the rocker looses its appeal if it's not lighted.

I'm probably going with the Honeywell mil spec toggles, TL series. These are about $15/ea from Onlinecomponents.com. They come in more configurations so you have more options of momentary and etc.

Bruce,

I found some switches which are similar to the one's Gil suggested at Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...virtualkey61170000virtualkey611-CN201J11S215Q

I bought a couple for my FSX panel that I built. They have a reasonable feel, and good specs. They are also about $2.50 each. You might order a couple and see what you think.

I tried to find some other lighted rocker switches but I couldn't find anything that was reasonable. To me the rocker looses its appeal if it's not lighted.

I'm probably going with the Honeywell mil spec toggles, TL series. These are about $15/ea from Onlinecomponents.com. They come in more configurations so you have more options of momentary and etc.

Ray, thank you for this information. I'm going to explore these options and give it some thought, and I may order a couple as you suggest to check 'em out. The Honeywell series looks great, and for what you're getting, I don't think $15 is out of line.

Thanks again! :)

I really like my sub panel for all the reasons stated. I have illuminated mine with a dimmable white LED strip light above for night flying. The switch labels will be white letters to pick up the white light.

The switches are toggles with colored handles and grouped into sections according to functions. Red for critical items, yellow for lighting etc.

I would do it the same. No problem for reading the labels above the switches.

Bevan

Back