What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Affordable Panels Question

mgomez

Well Known Member
Hi,

While installing the Affordable Panels frame into the fuselage, I encountered the following question:

screws.jpg

The instructions say that these should be screws. Anybody know why? The frame can't be removed from the fuselage anyway, so why not make these rivets?

Thanks,
Martin

The standard Van's panel uses screws in those locations. The Afforable Panel frame attaches the same way as one piece panel attaches to the fuselage.

I'm sure riveting would be fine if your sure you're ready to mount it permanently.

...also, the holes in the ribs are already predrilled to size #19 holes for #8 screws -- too big for 1/8" rivets. You could use bigger rivets though, but harder to squeeze. It's probably easiest to use flush head screws, as suggested.

Martin, not sure why you would say it's not removeable although there isn't much reason to? If you don't use rivets, there is nothing but screws holding the frame in. Also holes are already large. Getting the lower switch panel out is really worse but both are doable. The panel itself comes out very easy.

Now is also a good time to think about access through the center panel if you plan on putting your AHRS or other electrical stuff behind it. Also note that you have to trim the center rib to allow the radio stack to fit.

Also note that all radio trays are not built equal and are not all 6.25 so you may have to trim the center posts a little bit and/or shim a little. This is a GNS430 and a SL40 shown.

Hope this helps!

Bill S
7a finishing

Hi,

The instructions say that these should be screws. Anybody know why? The frame can't be removed from the fuselage anyway, so why not make these rivets?

Thanks,
Martin

Martin:

My panel frame is removeable, not for maintenance but, to facilitate any future panel redesign.

Just need to attach the panel top using screws and anchor nuts versus rivets for the F-7103L&R attach angles. Takes an extra 30 minutes.

Jekyll
RV-7A
Affordable Panel XL frame

Back