What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Affordable Load Cells

HFS

Well Known Member
I have searched for any posts regarding load cells for tension testing, that are affordable for the home hobbyist - I'm pretty sure there has been some discussion on this subject, I just haven't had much luck in finding it.

If anyone can either point me to the posts here on VAF or direct me to an outside source it would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.

David Howe

Omega

Hi, You might check the Omega website, the thermocouple people. They have them, and other venders too, have S-frame load cells of a range of capacities.
From 25 lb cells up to about 2000 lbs, they are $325 each. They have them up to 40,000 lbs, but the price starts going up with the capacity above 2000 lb. They have some other styles too that might be more suitable for inline tension testing.

Bob Kuykendall has one set up for tension testing with a hydraulic cylinder for loading. He calls it the 'break-o-tron' and you can probably find you-tube videos of him testing climbing equipment as well as some specimen testing for me.

David,

I have a company that designs and manufacturers instrumentation systems that are used for testing parachute systems for commercial and military applications. We design and manufacture special load links for these applications. When we need a load cell for a test rig or customer application that calls for a standard commercial load cell we usability purchase them from:

AmCells Corp.
3121 Scott Street
Vista, CA 92081

[email protected]
[email protected]
Tel: +1-760-727-6666
Fax: +1-760-598-6666
http://amcells.com/

So far we have been happy with their load cell and indicators. We recently purchased some of their S-Type load cells for a very attractive price. Give em a call. We have no interest in AmCells other than having been a satified customer for several years.

If you need other assistance do not hesitate to PM me.

blueskies,
larosta

Thank You Larosta!

My customer is down in SoCal at the Santa Paula airport. I'll give him the information re/the folks in Vista, and let him run with it.

Thanks again - as usual VAF comes through!

David Howe

Back