What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AEX Wedge Missing

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I have finished unpacking and inventorying my tail kit. Amazingly, ALL the parts and pieces seem to be there, EXCEPT the aluminum stock to cut the AEX wedge tools out of. Could this be because the hand rivet puller now included in the Avery toolkit will reach up-close in those tight spots? Anyway, congrats to the Van's team for getting everything to me in good shape, despite the efforts of some FedEx gorilla to bash in the end of the crate!

It is a tiny wedge of aluminum in one of the small parts bags. If you have the Avery puller you won't need it.

I like the way you stored your large parts using the crate.

Last edited:
Close area riveting

You will need the wedge or sometihng like it. There are many times the compact hand puller will not work well enough. You'll know when you get to such a spot.

John Bender
Iowa

You will need the wedge or sometihng like it. There are many times the compact hand puller will not work well enough. You'll know when you get to such a spot.

John Bender
Iowa

John, If you grind off about 1/16" of the Avery puller it will fit just about any rivet, and hold the head flat. I think I used the wedge on 2 rivets.

SEE - YOU ADMITTED IT ! ! ! !

Larry, it will come in handy at times. The hand one will do most, but not all, without leaving marks. ( Yes I know ).

John Bender
Iowa

Sounds like I ought to have one. I will email Van's and ask them to send me one. Can't believe out of all those hundreds of parts that is the only one that didn't get in the kit.

Larry, it will come in handy at times. The hand one will do most, but not all, without leaving marks. ( Yes I know ).

John Bender
Iowa

Okay, I used it twice just to see how it worked. Are you happy? ;) I was trying to make Big John comfortable about going ahead with the build without it. Once he sees how little he'll use it he is gonna be mad at you! You know what it's like waiting for parts, plus he is in NY! He won't see the wedge until May at the earliest! lol ;)

Last edited:
No need to wait for the AEX. Get some scrap Alum 1/8" to 3/16" thick, cut it to approx size per the plans. Use a file or disc sander to form it into a wedge shape. Maybe 1/32'' to 1/16" on the narrow edge. Polish it using your scotchbrite wheel or sandpaper. Drill a hole in the wedge perpendicular to to slanting surface.

This is how I formed the wedge using it thru-out wing assembly. Worked great! Modifying your puller is not necessary!!

There is a nice video on the EAA website under the sheet metal section entitled "Pull Riveting in Tight Spaces"

http://www.eaa.org/video/homebuilders.html?videoId=1531191588

Last edited:
Back