What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerospray or Duraspray for interior?

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Although they are rattle cans, Eastwood’s product looks like a good alternative for painting the interior. Or is it?

And since it is “Topcoat” does this mean no clear coat required?

I haven't used those but I have used their two-part epoxy and associated topcoat. These need to be mixed before use with the built-in system. The mixing system works smoothly and the paints sprayed very well indeed.

Unfortunately they haven't proved as durable as I'd have liked. I used them on my roll bar and need to keep them wrapped to avoid marring them.

I've found that Stewart's EkoPoxy primer, sprayed with Harbor Freight's $15 touch-up gun, sprays about as easily and is much more durable. As a result, I used the EkoPoxy on my interior.

I used a Rustoleum spray paint on the control stick and heck, it's more durable than the Eastwood product and it's just a spray can.

Your experience may differ....

Dave
RV-3B now working on the cowl

Rustoleum Enamel in the spray gun of your choice from HD over Rustoleum self etching ... tough as nails :)

Sherwin Williams Polane T polyurethane is what completion centers use in the cockpits. It can be applied with either a semigloss finish or with varying degrees of texture to make it look pretty flat.

Very durable. I used it with a low gloss application on the instrument panel and with a slight gloss on the rest of the interior.

I'd recommend the most durable coating possible on the cockpit/baggage interior. There may be some very durable spray can coatings out there these days that I'm not familiar with, but durable to me (used to) mean catalyzed, multi part paint.

2 cents.

Last edited:
A good choice for interiors is Sherwin Williams JetFlex. You have your choice of standard solvent based or water based.

A good choice for interiors is Sherwin Williams JetFlex. You have your choice of standard solvent based or water based.

I’ve decided to go with the water based JetFlex. Can I just go down to the SW local store and order it?

I’ve decided to go with the water based JetFlex. Can I just go down to the SW local store and order it?

Many local SW stores only deal in house paint. If they even know about it, they might order it for you. A couple places to check would be

Air Mart in Mena AR
Advanced Aircraft Coatings in Oklahoma City
Blend Supply in Ft Worth Texas

Back