What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Rudder Trim install question

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Anyone with a stock panel have any issues with the springs clearing the subpanel? I was holding up the control box to the bottom of the panel with one of the control arms just resting on a rudder tube and it didn't look like the springs will clear the bottom of the subpanel. Now I didn't have anything hooked up so the appearance might be deceiving, but before I start mounting hardware it would be nice to hear from another RV10 builder on any issues and possible solutions.

It does need a guide block

Hi Todd,

I have a stock panel and installed it on the lower L/H panel support brace.

I Installed my rudder trim while building and found the springs do catch a bit on the lower sub-panel.
My fix was a simple piece of plastic 4" x 4" pop riveted onto the bottom of the sub-panel to allow the spring and cable to glide over that spot. (the plastic guide has a slight crescent shape)
The springs only contacts that spot at the top of the arc as the pedals move,so its not like they are dragging there all the time.
I also mounted my Rudder Trim off-centre to the pedal arms,while not ideal,it works fine at this location.
(you could mount it on the underside of the panel support brace,but I preferred the cleaner look of mounting it in line with other switches)

The only problem I have had was an internal grub screw worked loose and allowed the trim cable to slip,on dismantling the rudder trim box,I found that this was the only screw that was not Loctited. Re-assembled and all good.

2 years and over 300hrs and I like the Rudder Trim and would fit it again if I was building.

Cheers,

8IfGTjjOHnC_w8r0-Awh6J-P7c5DbixKuBynQgQyhQ6OYWDf90lTsIjh5GbVkNPOCp__X2dISwJOgmYlZUV7Bz9AiOmmCvXdfhtiSTTEAZPTXRBswQU7BAO97JM2R92Sq5_mvs7RP1-rmlXeg6W5x9qUw4vwqXoh0PFlibjHsC_MjgecJfgBaedQm3bhjVW_UfbpVZ0VpXHJkeqePHIK-gxa62OgGkgfDRLB4aEDqVx3If7ujMvEzP9SqOi_H0kIJ0A242efScc09enRNliCaRVTAqOA_A5X_oOOD_RJZix4lmnjCqt4k6LmdZxzBPZ7HJpxrQ5RK8hSlsMK-7REqh_AGOTpglfQdF0gavhxWmdENNTyY9lX1Fbisd3Ep0uQVPHeL1mN3vmJ9Vf8zKUCT1Bp1TZbgrR-uuF1Lr-cbobehLsZ1oOPMO9BAM26MoOfdwf36vEUAu2bcwHaSOUvfMZGTQvjJak8i1n2tMdMFZRR_HRwIddwJfJKrVyUbn8_0GsxD4LDetyKzfMI62TlbbnjCCas-7_bXbnAR_To-AF8b5b9AlSHp-Dw9PIRengg4fMFuRqDflpuDQj8-8yaAUVZX3-NEo5rxs88XeiBNtCyJJgn=w924-h693-no

Last edited:
Todd,

Mine don't interfere with the panel or any wiring. There a few variables to considered. Where are you locating the trim unit?

I have Geoff's original panel and mine is mounted in the lower,portion of the comm stack panel area.

There may be some photos on mykitlog.

Bob

Back