What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport rudder trim imstall question

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I have a metal panel from Stein. Installing the Aerosport rudder trim on the bottom of the panel will not work. The panel flexes from the extra strain of the spring load as the peddles are moved in and out. This causes it to continually flex. Any idea on another install option.

Does the Stein panel replace the entire plans based panel structure? If the panel is flexing from just the rudder trim, I would think it needs to be better supported. Imagine what would happen in an accident where there are much stronger forces than two small springs.

Most panels, including Aerosport Products, uses the plans based panel sub-structure and only replace the one piece of aluminum that Van's intended to be the panel.

I would think that the carbon fiber would flex more that aluminum, unless the aluminum is pretty thin. Mine is installed on the comm stack insert on the standard panel from Aerosport Products. I don't experience any flexing from the panel.

Panel

When I talked to the guys at Stein's they said that the one piece panels had a rolled bottom edge to replace the original angle. Is that not the case?

Yes, the stein panel has a rolled edge on the bottom, I thought it was pretty stout and would be a good spot to mount the rudder trim but have not tried it. In fact, I think Steins panel is a even a scoche thicker than vans stock. I think the underside of this panel return is a good spot for rudder trim, maybe a simple kicker to the sub panel would help.

Reading these posts suddenly triggered a realization. I got busy with the wiring and had not yet secured the radio stack trays to the sub panel. Once I secured the trays, everything tightened up. The Stein panel does have a rolled bottom for support. But securing the trays to the sub panel helps support the center mass of the panel. Much thanks.

Back