What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Prod. instrument panel

dhmoose

Well Known Member
Does anyone have some pictures of the sub panel cutouts needed behind the radio stack in the "Aerosport Products 10" EFIS panel"?

I have dual AFS 5600's on the left of the radio stack and this doesn't require a sub panel cutout. However, the GTN 750 in the radio stack will require a sub panel cut and it'd be nice to see the extent of the cut needed and what reinforcements may have been done.

Thanks!
David

(Wow...electrical wiring is Sssooooooo much better then fiberglass! :D)

Does anyone have some pictures of the sub panel cutouts needed behind the radio stack in the "Aerosport Products 10" EFIS panel"?

I have dual AFS 5600's on the left of the radio stack and this doesn't require a sub panel cutout. However, the GTN 750 in the radio stack will require a sub panel cut and it'd be nice to see the extent of the cut needed and what reinforcements may have been done.

Thanks!
David

(Wow...electrical wiring is Sssooooooo much better then fiberglass! :D)

I have plenty of them on my build site, but I have Geoff's original panel. My cutout is most likely in a different location. Geoff can tell you the differences between the two panels.

The easiest thing to do is to mount the panel. Then take a small square to find the intersection points at the subpanel. This will make the opening the subpanel about a quarter inch larger than the trays.

The vertical measurement is highly dependent on your panel design, so you'll need your panel insert cut to precisely determine the height of the cutout.

You will also want to fasten the stack to the subpanel. As you will see in my photos, I built a small tray at the bottom of the opening to carry the weight of the stack. Otherwise all the weight would be carried by the panel insert. How important this is probably directly related to how tall your stack may be. If its just the 750, it may not be a big deal. I just didn't like all that weight bouncing during every landings, so I made sure it was secured.

The other opportunity you may encounter is if there are any ribs in the way. The afs5000 series is a lot thinner than the older units. I don't know if the stack interferes with any of the standard rib locations.

This link will take you to one page that features the subpanel cutout.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Helpful

Hi Bob,
The 10" EFIS panel has the radio stack pushed to the right by a couple inches. Unfortunately, this puts my audio panel (8000BT), Garmin GTR225, and GTN 750 in a spot where the audio panel interferes with the right-most panel rib and the GTN750 interferes with the subpanel. It looks like it will also force removal of the lower border flange of the subpanel. Both of these modifications are "forbidden" per the manual but I know they have been done for years on other panel designs. I was hoping to see how so,e folks have accomplished it prior to "inventing the wheel".

I appreciate your help and advice. I like your reinforcements and support for the radios. I'll follow your lead :)

David

Panel fit

David,
I am installing two 5500 in standard panel so bit different than you but...
I build a tray under radio stack with forward and vertical braces for the radios but I have a 430 so i have much more room. I also installed the 8000BT at lowest stack to avoid cutting into the lower subpanel flange. I can send you pictures to help visualize if you email or pm me. BTW, been meaning to contact you as you are only three hours drive from us. be good to compare notes as I think we may be close in build progress.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,
The 10" EFIS panel has the radio stack pushed to the right by a couple inches. Unfortunately, this puts my audio panel (8000BT), Garmin GTR225, and GTN 750 in a spot where the audio panel interferes with the right-most panel rib and the GTN750 interferes with the subpanel. It looks like it will also force removal of the lower border flange of the subpanel. Both of these modifications are "forbidden" per the manual but I know they have been done for years on other panel designs. I was hoping to see how so,e folks have accomplished it

Hmmm, from a height perspective, there shouldn't be any difference with my panel. I see the issue now. I have a set of switches at the bottom which alleviated me from having the same experience as you.

I think the mods aka the "Vic Syracuse" method are stronger than the original rib. I suspect you could do somethign similiar with the subpanel as well. If I recall, Tim has some more detailed photos on his site.

David,
I am installing two 5500 in standard panel so bit different than you but...
I build a tray under radio stack with forward and vertical braces for the radios but I have a 430 so i have much more room. I also installed the 8000BT at lowest stack to avoid cutting into the lower subpanel flange. I can send you pictures to help visualize if you email or pm me. BTW, been meaning to contact you as you are only three hours drive from us. be good to compare notes as I think we may be close in build progress.

If you had a 650 you wouldn't have any problems. It's even good for your marriage and will prevent cataracts.

return jab

Sorry David....Bryan jabbing at me and need to respond....

Bryan sent this text to me last night.

"400 Hobbs hours, 531 days since first flight. Equals 45 minutes average per day. I'm thinking about seeking professional help. "

Bryan has a serious addiction and needs help. His 650 is so messed up, it takes him the long way every trip....therefore the massive flight hours on his 10.

David, picture of your mods look good! I would suggest doubler plate all the way around which I am sure that was your next move. We need to get these machines built so we can join guys like Bryan I'm the air.

Ha!

I was curious about Bryan's post as I felt like an outsider on an inside joke :)

Now that Bryan set the bar, we have the ability to raise it!

Lets get em' done and join him.
David

Too funny!!

If you had a 650 you wouldn't have any problems. It's even good for your marriage and will prevent cataracts.

I won't argue the marriage part and/or the cataracts that's for sure but I'm nearly certain the 650 and the 750 are similar in depth and rear connector layout. The bottom of the 750 tray is essentially a 650 w/the added portion above it for the screen which does not protrude aft nearly as deep as the bottom of the radio.

Both radios pretty much have to be placed low enough in the stack so as to clear the right rib BEHIND the subpanel. I've yet to see anyone install a 650 towards the top of the radio stack. I don't think it can be done w/o serious rib modification BEHIND the subpanel. The typical rib cut for the section fwd of the subpanel is fine but the aft section of the radios will hit the rib behind the subpanel if raised up at all.

The Aerosport 10" EFIS panel's radio stacks location is different than the standard panel. The radio stack in the 10" model is farther to the right which is what causes the fitment issues.

David attached are some pictures of my modifications for the 430-530 and or 650-750 for the standard panel. As Ben said the 10" panel is about 2" more to the right so you will have to make a sub panel cut out and modify the right
rib. Also keeping the units lower is important as well.

Contact me if you have any other questions.

0_0_cde7458c913030f0d302d814bbfcb0f9_1

0_0_e5f6cd80d2da14e3039cca46c339029a_1

0_0_1f7c9f0f4252552d2aa10e01a6c534eb_1

Geoff
http://aerosportproducts.com

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback and help gents. I finally modified the subpanel enough that I have appropriate clearance and it is ready for the aluminum angle reinforcements. Geoff, your reinforcements are EXACTLY what I had in mind with the extension going below the subpanels lower flange. I am happy to see it working for you. I took some pics and posted them to Kitlog. I'll post more in the future for those who follow me down this dark and scary path :eek: Actually, it's been a fun and exciting path. Then again, everything after the 8 months of fiberglass has been fun!

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=dhmoose&project=796&category=0&log=176759&row=1

Back