What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroSport Power IO-360 -vs- Vans FWF

wizard

Hi all! My AeroSport Power IO-360 (Horizontal Induction, one Light Speed Plasma II Plus, Silver Hawk FI, Superior Cylinders) will be arriving next week (hope, hope) and I am just about to order my FWF kit from Vans. Checked with Vans to see if they recommend any additions, deletions or modifications to the kit. They indicated that the closest FWF kit would be the FF 7/7A IO-360M1B CS and there "are no obvious things that should be changed." What has been your experience? Any changes to the kit that I should request?

I also had the IO-360-M1 from Aerosport and was really happy with it. I believe I ordered the same F/W foreward kit as well. Here' what I found:

1) Baffle kit worked well, no major issues
2) I have the stock oil cooler as provided in the kit. We'll see how it performs.
3) Prop gov. installed without problems however, you'll have to change out the oil cooler supply line fitting. Dan C's website also mentions this.
4) For the RS-5 FI, the fuel supply line from mechanical pump to servo fit well.
5) I eventually replaced oil cooler supply line (added 45 deg fitting to clear prop gov), oil cooler return line (originally too long, neatened this up), fuel supply line from f/w to mechanical pump (original way too long), and manifold pressure line (again, way too long). Oil and fuel presssure lines seemed OK, but the oil line could be shortened by an inch or so.
6) Had to go through several hoses to position the fuel flow sensor between the servo and the spider.
7) Aerosport will ship with an alternator if you want, make sure you delete Van's.

Otherwise, the kit seemed to work well.

upon recommendation from others, I deleted the engine mounts and separately ordered lord's engine mounts. Supposed to make a big difference in engine vibration. we'll see. don't delete the engine mount bolts.

-if you had previously ordered anything like pc680kit or fi pump kit, then delete those from the fwf kit.

Back