What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport overhead console - bulkhead interface

Dorfie

Well Known Member
What did you guys do at the rear where the overhead console contacts the baggage bulkhead (F-1006-D and upper baggage bulkhead F-1006-E). The console covers at least two of the screws that attach the upper baggage bulkhead cover to the F-1006-D bulkhead. The upper baggage bulkhead cover also goes behind the console, which will influence removal. I think the bulkhead cover is structural??
Did anyone relocate the screws to a lower position? (Not much space below the console and lower border of F-1006-D bulkhead)
Did anyone cut the upper bulkhead cover away so that it does not go behind the console?
How did you seal the console-bulkhead interface?
Thanks.
Johan

Last edited:
Trim to fit

Johan
Two ways to fix your problem.
One is to slide complete console forward on the cabin top till rear flange is in correct position. To do this you will need to trim the step in the console mid point to allow to slide forward.
Two is to cut rear flange off the console and allow room for a rubber flange seal to be installed between console and bulkhead after everything is installed. This allows for screws to remain in original position as well.
Please do not modify the bulkhead components...only modify the console. Also we used lord adhesive from Geoff to attach console. Non of these are my ideas... Bryan Douglass gets credit.
Hope this helps
Jack

Johan
Two ways to fix your problem.
One is to slide complete console forward on the cabin top till rear flange is in correct position. To do this you will need to trim the step in the console mid point to allow to slide forward.
Two is to cut rear flange off the console and allow room for a rubber flange seal to be installed between console and bulkhead after everything is installed. This allows for screws to remain in original position as well.
Please do not modify the bulkhead components...only modify the console. Also we used lord adhesive from Geoff to attach console. Non of these are my ideas... Bryan Douglass gets credit.
Hope this helps
Jack

Thanks Jack,
I am having trouble picturing what you are saying.
Once the console is "glued" to cabin, how can it slide forward?
Second option: how do you get to the screws to remove the upper bulkhead cover?
I'm missing something!!
Johan

What did you guys do at the rear where the overhead console contacts the baggage bulkhead (F-1006-D and upper baggage bulkhead F-1006-E). The console covers at least two of the screws that attach the upper baggage bulkhead cover to the F-1006-D bulkhead. The upper baggage bulkhead cover also goes behind the console, which will influence removal. I think the bulkhead cover is structural??
Did anyone relocate the screws to a lower position? (Not much space below the console and lower border of F-1006-D bulkhead)
Did anyone cut the upper bulkhead cover away so that it does not go behind the console?
How did you seal the console-bulkhead interface?
Thanks.
Johan

I trimmed the bulkhead cover to fit around the overhead console. I also relocated the top two holes.

I have a piece of standard weather stripping on the rear of the console flange that seals the gap to the bulkhead. In my case, it's extremely tight fitting.

You shouldn't have to slide the overhead forward unless the joggle behind the front seat doesn't fit right. There are three different cabin cover molds. The old green one and two pink ones. The only differences in the two pink ones is that joggle is in a different location. If you have one of these, you will know it pretty quick. The forward and aft ends fit, but the joggle will be off a bit.

There may some photos on mykitlog site.

Bob

Last edited:
I did the same as bob. I also made sure the scat tube bulkhead pieces were blind riveted on AFTEr the canopy is installed. Otherwise the shop head interferes with aft side of the canopy as it is installed.

I did the same as bob. I also made sure the scat tube bulkhead pieces were blind riveted on AFTEr the canopy is installed. Otherwise the shop head interferes with aft side of the canopy as it is installed.

I got caught by this. Since you glass the joint anyways, I just used a couple blind rivets on the cabin cover where the scat tube mount interfered with riveting.

Johan,

I second everything that Jack stated. Check out this video that Ed Kranz did. If you still have questions give me a call. 614-735-8185

http://youtu.be/FNUGjxtQ6RI

Zak,

The video does not show the solution to the problem with the overhead console covering two screws that holds the upper bulkhead cover. I am looking for a way that I can remove the upper bulkhead cover with cabin and overhead console permanently installed.

The video also does not show the cutouts for the gas struts and how to seal them. That will also be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Johan

I trimmed the bulkhead cover to fit around the overhead console. I also relocated the top two holes.
Bob

This seems to be the way to go right now. There seems to be little room for relocation of the screws. If I understand you correctly, the upper bulkhead cover is removable with the canopy and overhead console installed?
Thanks.
Johan
PS. I looked the best I could on your build log, but did not find a picture of the bulkhead cover cutout.

This seems to be the way to go right now. There seems to be little room for relocation of the screws. If I understand you correctly, the upper bulkhead cover is removable with the canopy and overhead console installed?
Thanks.
Johan
PS. I looked the best I could on your build log, but did not find a picture of the bulkhead cover cutout.

I looked too this morning and couldn't find any either. The closest I could find is the following without the covers installed.

FP10032013A000BH.jpg

It's not rocket science.

Have you ever cut floor tile or dry wall around an object? Use the same technique. Hold the cover up to the tunnel and determine how much you have to cut. Mark the side dimensions of the overhead. Then just trim to fit.

Once it fits, determine if you need to add additional mounting screws. I have ones left and right of the overhead. Just drill new holes and install nutplates.

Also, keep an eye on Aerosport Products website. Rumor has it that there may be some new products rolled out before OSH. One may even make the bulkhead look a little nicer.

Last edited:
I cut the rear of the console off..

As I fit the O/H console to the cabin top, it was about 1/4" too long to fit to the rear bulkhead. If I slid it forward, then I had to do a lot of grinding and fitting of the top. The console fit pretty good to the top if I could ignore that 1/4" interference to the rear bulkhead.

So I cut about 5" off the rear of the O/H console.

Then I glued my O/H console to the cabin top.

That last 5" of O/H console that I cut off, I will fit it so you can hardly tell it is in 2 pieces and then I plan to either screw or velcro it in place at final assembly.

No modification to the rear bulkhead and I have access to all the wiring going into the O/H console.

I can email pictures if anyone wants.

Mine

Here is a decent pic of what I did, then I just slid the upper half of the rear bulkhead panel under the weather stripping, voila. IIRC, the weather stripping was the same stuff that goes on that little panel under the HS where it joins the fuse:

RV102182.jpg

I don't think I've had to take off the upper half of the bulkhead panel since it was installed. Access to the empennage only requires the bottom half be removed.

Johan,

It was great talking with you on Sunday. How did everything work out for you? Did you receive your NACA Air Controller Kit? If you need anything give me a call.

Johan,

It was great talking with you on Sunday. How did everything work out for you? Did you receive your NACA Air Controller Kit? If you need anything give me a call.

Zac,
They tried to deliver it yesterday, but signature was required and nobody was home. Hope to get it today.
Nice talking to you too and appreciated your help.
Johan

Here is a decent pic of what I did, then I just slid the upper half of the rear bulkhead panel under the weather stripping, voila. IIRC, the weather stripping was the same stuff that goes on that little panel under the HS where it joins the fuse:

RV102182.jpg

I don't think I've had to take off the upper half of the bulkhead panel since it was installed. Access to the empennage only requires the bottom half be removed.

That looks good. One problem is that there are two screws (at least in my setup) holding the upper panel that ends up covered by the overhead console. I think you are correct that the need for removing upper panel is low, but you know, I am getting stiffer and need more maneuvering space............ should I ever need to get into tail section!!
I like the weatherstrip seal. Simple solution
Thanks.
Johan

NACA vent controller attachment to bulkhead

I received the NACA vent yesterday and noted there is no attachment bracket on it for attaching to bulkhead. Just the two tubes. Keen to see how you attached the controller to bulkhead.
Thanks.
Johan

Mark,
Are you referring to the rivets that attach the NAVA controller to the bulkhead?
Thanks.
Johan

The controller needs to have a mount fabricated for it. I mounted mine from the stringers overhead. The bulkhead needs some scat flange adapters. Then you use a scat tube from those to the controller and then another set I scat tubes from the controller to the vents themselves.

I suspect your confusion is you believe the controller mounts to the bulkhead. It doesn't.

The controller needs to have a mount fabricated for it. I mounted mine from the stringers overhead. The bulkhead needs some scat flange adapters. Then you use a scat tube from those to the controller and then another set I scat tubes from the controller to the vents themselves.

I suspect your confusion is you believe the controller mounts to the bulkhead. It doesn't.

Mark,
That's exactly my confusion.
Will order scat flanges from VANS.
Thanks.
Johan

I just fabricated a bracket to mount the valve to the j-channel

FP11042012A0001V.jpg

Scat tubes run to scat flanges on the bulkhead

FP13042012A0001N.jpg

You can see what Mark is talking about in this photo:

FP16112010A000QC.jpg

I mounted the flanges, then realized the issue with riveting the cabin cover. I ended up just using some blind rivets in the couple locations that I couldn't get a bucking bar to fit. It all gets glassed over, so not a cosmetic issue.

The flanges are from ACS

08-04135.jpg

More...

That looks good. One problem is that there are two screws (at least in my setup) holding the upper panel that ends up covered by the overhead console. I think you are correct that the need for removing upper panel is low, but you know, I am getting stiffer and need more maneuvering space............ should I ever need to get into tail section!!
I like the weatherstrip seal. Simple solution
Thanks.
Johan

I can't recall for certain, but I think I just had to move those two nutplates a short distance outboard to clear the OHC. Even though I haven't had to remove the upper part of the aft bulkhead, I don't think it would be difficult as it slips underneath the weatherstripping pretty easily. FWIW.

Also, I did not install a bracket to hold the NACA valve. I attached it to the hose flanges with much shorter (3-4") hoses than shown in Bob's picture, and secured the long hose runs to the NACA vents. The end result was that the valve assembly is very rigid. As light as it is it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited:
Back