What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Overhead and Wires in Center Support

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am considering running wires up my center support like others have done for GPS, and electrical cables for overhead items. For those of you with the Aerosport Overhead Console, how have you routed the wires out of the support and into the overhead? I am assuming a drilled hole and bushing, but how are you keeping the vent air from coming out the wiring hole? I am assuming you need to use some proseal and seal up the hole once the wires are run.

Charlie,
Like most, I ran some wires up the windshield brace.
I split the bundle into 2 sets where they exit the brace tube and into the overhead console. Both are covered in black shrink tube for a neat look where the 2" of length is exposed to the cabin and I used black rubber grommets for a pretty tight seal.
The truth is, you really don't care much if a little air escapes, after all, air is what you want from the overhead console.
For cold weather, I highly recomend aerosport's Vent shut off valve
http://www.aerosportproducts.com/nacavalve.htm
This will give you an easy option to shut air off copletely and you won't have to worry about leakage when its cold outside.
One word of caution, there really is not that much room to run more than a couple of wires up that tube especially if one of them is an RG400.
For future use I embedded a conduit extending from the rear so you can add stuff later.

I glassed in cardboard & cloth to make ducts to my vents, so the console doesn't leak. Its also removeable via glass bedded nutserts. The 2 GPS antennas are on the their own skinny coax. VOR and GS antennas are RG58. Short runs and thinner cable. Plus rear seat jacks, power port wire, and eyeball light wires from dimmer. All fit in the brace tube and the wire exit is covered by the console upholstery. No exposed wires or bolts.

Back