What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Low Profile Handles - Help!

rocketman1988

Been around for awhile...
Sponsor
Well, I bought them...and they look really nice. Only problem is the lockset. I have a set of nice stainless locks, keyed the same , that I purchased previously. Problem is, they won't fit the trim ring. Apparently the profile of the ACS lock head is slightly different than a standard 5/8 lockset, so the trim ring sits about 1/16" above the door surface.

So, I guess you need to use the ACS locks. :mad: So here is the question:

How do you get 3 keyed alike locks from ACS? I called them twice and no one seems to know.

Anyone out there with the handles: Would there be enough clearance between the handle and the face of the lock if the face of the lock were about 1/16" proud of the trim ring?

Thanks!

Well, I bought them...and they look really nice. Only problem is the lockset. I have a set of nice stainless locks, keyed the same , that I purchased previously. Problem is, they won't fit the trim ring. Apparently the profile of the ACS lock head is slightly different than a standard 5/8 lockset, so the trim ring sits about 1/16" above the door surface.

So, I guess you need to use the ACS locks. :mad: So here is the question:

How do you get 3 keyed alike locks from ACS? I called them twice and no one seems to know.

Anyone out there with the handles: Would there be enough clearance between the handle and the face of the lock if the face of the lock were about 1/16" proud of the trim ring?

Thanks!

I just went through this about the locks. Apparently you can't buy a lock after-the-fact keyed the same as whatever you already have. If you buy a new mag switch/starter from ACS you can special order it with some number of additional locks all keyed the same, but it's expensive. I already had a starter switch from Van's with 2 locks. Not ideal, but I just bought an additional 2 locks from ACS so my starter and doors will have the same key but my baggage door will be different. :mad:

I'm not sure who u spoke with at ACS, but I called the with the key number and she went out to the warehouse and found me two additional locks with the same key number. She also told me that she could order two lock sets keyed to my. ACS ignition switch.

I'm not sure who u spoke with at ACS, but I called the with the key number and she went out to the warehouse and found me two additional locks with the same key number. She also told me that she could order two lock sets keyed to my. ACS ignition switch.

Bill,

Was this recent experience or a few years ago? My experience was from just a few weeks ago. They gave me some explanation about a new supplier or new design or something and they couldn't (or wouldn't) do what you just described. Annoys me, to say the least.

Door Locks

I called aircraft spruce again, this evening. I spoke with a very nice lady that said she would go and look in the warehouse for two set keyed alike and call me back. She called but no dice. They had seven sets all with different keys.

This shouldn't be this difficult, they are cabinet door locks.

Will check again on monday...

I called aircraft spruce again, this evening. I spoke with a very nice lady that said she would go and look in the warehouse for two set keyed alike and call me back. She called but no dice. They had seven sets all with different keys.

This shouldn't be this difficult, they are cabinet door locks.

Will check again on monday...

When I purchased mine a few years ago, I was able to special order them from the vendor through ACS. I got the ignition and four locks, all keyed alike.

Low profile handles

When I installed my locks I had a similar issue with the shape of the lock holding the trim ring off the surface of the door. I reshaped the ring on the lock with the deburring wheel. worked really well for me. Trim ring fits great and you can't see the sides of the lock face where I trimmed it.

broken lock

I'm not so sure about the quality of these locks. Tonight while working on my door I dropped the strike plate with the lock mounted in it. When I picked it up the lock cylinder was detached from the casing. I inserted the key and the cylinder pulled right out. Tiny springs and tumblers everywhere.

I'd say just a bad lock, but this is the second time it's happened to me. The last time I was exchanging a lock I had installed in my baggage door. Once it was out I put it down on my bench and it literally fell apart. Same thing with the cylinder loose and springs all over the bench.

Anyone else have issues like this with these locks? I was clumsy tonight but I still wouldn't expect a fall from 3' to cause the lock to break like this. Bought from ACS. $40.00 for a pair.

umm

And the locks I purchased previously are nice stainless locks with a spring loaded weather shutter to keep all the crud out of the lock...but they won't fit.

Oh, and they were ~$8 each...

I may attempt to modify the inside contour of the trim ring. It looks like it was machined for a rounded lock face but the ones I have are straight sided...

I wonder how much a replacement trim ring costs...:eek:

Last edited:
And the locks I purchased previously are nice stainless locks with a spring loaded weather shutter to keep all the crud out of the lock...but they won't fit.

Oh, and they were ~$8 each...

I may attempt to modify the inside contour of the trim ring. It looks like it was machined for a rounded lock face but the ones I have are straight sided...

I wonder how much a replacement trim ring costs...:eek:

Were you able to get those other locks to work for your baggage door? If you figure out how to make them work with the Aerosport handle, let us know. I'll probably duplicate your efforts. I'm very reluctant to spend any more money on ACS locks.

Mods

I think that the locks I have will work but the trim ring will need to be modified. I don't have an acs lock to look at but in the pictures, it appears that the sides of the lock face are curved. The locks that I have are straight on the sides and will not fit all the way through the hole in the trim ring. If I open the hole up, they will fit but will protrude from the trim ring about 1/16". The diameter of the lock head base is the same as the acs lock...

Just debating whether to possibly ruin the trim ring or not...:eek:

Same issue

I had the same problem this summer with ACS. Took a few times of them sending the wrong locks to get it right. You have to order them in pairs, so I asked for two sets with all the same number when I ordered them. It was even clearly noted on the invoice. They got it wrong. Took about half a dozen calls to customer service at Spruce, but eventually, was able to get someone to locate a set that matched one of the sets I had. She put here hands on them, and shipped them for free and just asked that I send the un-needed set back. A lot of hassle for something that seems pretty easy.
I actually had one random cabinet lock that had a longer tang that I swapped for the baggage door. The stock ACS lock BARELY, catches the airframe on the baggage compartment. At least in my case.

... I actually had one random cabinet lock that had a longer tang that I swapped for the baggage door. The stock ACS lock BARELY, catches the airframe on the baggage compartment. ....

My fuse kit from Van's came with a replacement tang for the baggage lock, noting this issue.

Last edited:
Back