What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aeroelectrics Z-11; Hobbs wiring

Rupester

Well Known Member
Nuckoll's wiring diagram Z-11 shows the Hobbs meter powered off the battery buss, i.e. the "always hot" buss. The Hobbs sender has a NC contact usually wired to a warning lite to show when there's power on and no oil pressure. Am I correct in assuming that NC contact can't be used in the Z-11 battery buss arrangement? Seems like the warning light will glow when all else is shut down. Looks like a battery drainer.

Hobbs

I looked at my Z-11 and all I saw on the always hot buss was a one amp fuse labeled to a "hobbs". This would go to a normally open pressure switch measuring oil pressure. When oil pressure is present, the switch closes and energizes the hobbs.

I'm not familar with the other NC switch and lite you refer to, perhaps you could amplify.

On my airplane I could not come up with a good reason to put in a hobbs. Tach time does it for me. I associate hobbs with rental aircraft. I understand you may want it for logging time.

Don

If you furnish the ground through the oil pressure
switch you can have the hobbs powered from the
battery and the oil low pressure side powered through
the master switch. It will also remind you to turn
off the master unless you can walk away with a red
light still lit up on the panel.
Tom

Back