What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatics

hlangebro

Well Known Member
I've been checking potential weight and balance scenarios. Granted my 7A is not flying yet and have not been weighed, however I think I am fairly close on the balance numbers.
Here is my question; it seems like if I reach 1600lbs, I am at the aft end, or outside of the aft end of the AEROBATIC envelope...Still within the Utility category envelope though.

So, for instance, would it be wise to do a spin outside of the AEROBATIC envelope, but still within the UTILITY envelope?

Just trying to figure out the limitations of the aircraft, and if it is prone to a flat spin condition outside the Aerobatic category, but still within the Utility envelope...
Mine seem to be a bit on the tailheavy side. I have a O-320, 160HP, ground adjustable Whirlwind prop with a 2.5" spacer....and I can only assume at this point that it is more aft than fwd, based upon my engine choice/weight and my preliminary calculations...

Spins ARE aerobatics. The reason there's a different aerobatic aft limit is DUE to spin characteristics. It's not that it would necessarily be unsafe to spin aft of the aerobatic limit, yet within the overall airframe limits. But if you do, you are now a test pilot. Flight testing dictated the safe limits for performing aerobatics. Go outside that, and you're no longer operating the aircraft in the conditions that have been tested to 100% known outcomes. I seriously doubt Vans did spin testing to the point where they arrived at a sufficiently aft CG to cause an unrecoverable spin...with recovery via drag chute. Who knows how far aft that point is. But it sure isn't inside the aerobatic CG range.

Last edited:
Spins

Yes, I agree with your assessment, however, Spins are normally allowed in the utility category for certified planes. Utility category allows for limited aerobatics, and spins are one of them...

However, in this case, if the aft limit for spins, specifically, is the aft limit of the Aerobatic envelope, then I fully agree!

Yes, I agree with your assessment, however, Spins are normally allowed in the utility category for certified planes. Utility category allows for limited aerobatics, and spins are one of them...

That has zero bearing on RVs. Apples to oranges with respect to RVs and TC'd aircraft approved for spins in the utility category. You know a TC'd airplane approved for spins in the utility category has been fully spin tested up to the aft limit for the airplane. Has Vans documented the spin test results for spins at the normal (non aerobatic) aft limit? And TC'd aircraft must recover spins in a specific way. This doesn't apply to RVs and experimentals. The RV-6 would never pass FAA spin certification. That doesn't mean they are unsafe to spin. You just can't compare anything related to the certification of TC'd aircraft to Experimentals.

SPINS

Ok, yes I agree...

Does anyone know at what limit it has been tested, or should we assume it is the aft end of the aerobatic envelope? I guess it would make sense..

Anyway, thanks for your inputs!

Back