What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatics Instruction in the NW

Jettison

Anyone have a recommendation where I can get some aerobatics instruction in the NW US? Preferably in my RV-7, but not necessarily. Thanks.

Bremerton airport has a couple super decathlons for instruction and with a course. And there is a place in bend Oregon that will do it for you also. I don’t have the names handy but they are pretty easy to find. I talked to both at the NW aviation trade show in puyallup last winter about doing some training in my rv-14a. I believe the bend Oregon training facility is the only one that will do it in your aircraft as long as the aircraft is signed off for acro during the phase 1 testing

You are well-advised to get some upset recovery and spin training in any GA aircraft before venturing into aerobatics. The basics are the same. Once you get that training contact the Seattle IAC chapter and inquire about aerobatic coaching. They will be happy to help and the price is affordable: FREE.

IAC 67
Seattle, WA
President: Peter Gelinas
Meetings: Every 3rd Friday 7:00 PM
Meeting Location: Rainier Flight Service
790 West Perimeter Road
Renton WA 98057
Programs: Young Eagles

I have a RV-6 and did aerobatic training in Bremerton at Olde Thyme aviation with Tom Rogers in a Super Decathalon. I felt like the control forces were very similar to my RV but of course the entry speeds are very differnent.

Beware aerobatics can be addicting. I just got back from Pitts transition training and have been searching Barnstormers....

Extra to RV aerobatics

I did my aerobatic training with Mark Pollard, in his Extra, in Livermore, California. I found it transferred quite well to my 7A. Per Ron’s message, did a bunch of spin and botched maneuver recovery which is great for identifying funky circumstances with corrections and/or recovery.

I started with rolls & loops and will go back for training on split S and other positive G aerobatics. Start with the basics and build upon it from there if you remain interested. And, smooth air at a good altitude.

Whatever you do, Do It! (safely) The epitome of next level aviating that has been at the center of my aviation reboot for the last couple years. The IAC Sportsman figures are completely accessible to most RVs.

Back