What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic instrument advice ??

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
I am preparing to order instruments for my RV-3B project. I plan to do mild aero for recreation and have two questions regarding instruments.

Why do I need a g-meter if the pull for a loop is pretty much 3g to 3.5g ? Once you get the feel, why would I be looking at the instrument ?

Will a "whiskey compass" survive rolls and loops ? If not, what will ?

acro

A good whiskey compass should survive acro. The cheap altimeters do not fare so well. A rebuilt Kollsman is probably the best.

I am preparing to order instruments for my RV-3B project. I plan to do mild aero for recreation and have two questions regarding instruments.

Why do I need a g-meter if the pull for a loop is pretty much 3g to 3.5g ? Once you get the feel, why would I be looking at the instrument ?

Will a "whiskey compass" survive rolls and loops ? If not, what will ?

Because not all pulls are the same everyday and you dont want to exceed your airframe limitations...i do competitive aerobatics and use my g meter continuosly...BTW,,,my airframe is rated to +/- 10g,s and tested to +/- 16 and i still will use my g meter....Chances for me to exceed any of these #'s are none to slim. I have reached +9 and -4 never pass that...

as for the compass...any will do...I have had both and they do resist well. I am currently flying with an electic compass

May i suggest some basic aerobatic training before you attempt any pulls/pushes?

Last edited:
I look at it a lot. I'd say it is required if you are going to be pulling loops. Possibly get it built in to your Dynon or Trutrak Gemini (or presumably other electronic dodads)

Regarding the G meter, unless you have enough aerobatic experience to know exactly what 3G vs. 4G vs. 6G feels like, I would recommend one. You will initially use it to be sure of the amount of G you're pulling and to train your body what this feels like. Once you've gotten a feel for this, you can consistently pull to within a fraction of your target G without looking at the meter. Once you can do this, I would recommend not looking at the G meter each time you perform a pull. If you are going to do quality aerobatics, your attention needs to be outside as much as possible, and not on the panel.

Aerobatics involves too much variation during a pull throughout a figure, as well as feel for lift/drag subtlety to be relying on the G meter for best performance. Use it to ensure you don't overstress the airplane at first, but then try to do everything by feel. I don't typically look at the G meter until I've taken a break between maneuvers, or have finished a sequence...and this is generally more due to curiosity and confirmation than anything else. My max. positive and negative during a flight are pretty consistent.

In more advanced flying, the G meter can actually be useful in helping judge the quality of rolling maneuvers. For example, if you reset the meter before peforming a straight-and-level roll, you should see exactly +1/-1G after the roll if you did it well. If you see more or less of either positive or negative, you did something wrong. Similarly for rolling turns, if you finish the maneuver with more of either positive or negative G, then you didn't balance your pushing with your pulling, meaning your turn rate was not consistent. You'll need inverted systems for this one. :)

Last edited:
I fly competition acro in a Super Decathlon. I agree with everyone else that a G-meter is a requirement, and with the recommendation to get some acro training first. I have a vertical card compass that has survived well.

Hey Larry, as to whiskey compasses - the one in the Val seems to be doing just fine after 1450 hours (much of it Acro). Of course, I never actually USE that compass, so I don't know if it is accurate or not....

I have a mechanical G-meter in the Val, as well as G indications on the EFIS. I originally didn't have the G-indicator up on the RV-3's EFIS when we started flying, and I felt naked doing any Acro without it - got that reconfigured real quick.

Paul

I can tell you that a 1"g" lateral stick force and a 3"g" lateral stick force ( amount of ummph need to pull into the manouver) are VERY close in a -3.. very easy to exceed the limits... you need G meter....

I can tell you that a 1"g" lateral stick force and a 3"g" lateral stick force ( amount of ummph need to pull into the manouver) are VERY close in a -3.. very easy to exceed the limits... you need G meter....

What is lateral G stick force??

g meter

Good! Found I could always feels G's. Every flt +6, -4 G. Then in heat of adv. competition found meter after flight at +9 and minus 6. Believe I look now!

Funny - I took the G meter out of the -8 because I never look at it in my "real" aerobatic airplane - the Hiperbipe. I can see where it would be usefull in competition, but for the "sport" acro that I do, it doesn't seem to tell me much.

I do know anything ove 4.5g's hurts (me) a bunch - so I don't go anywhere near that on purpose.

Back