What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AE Fuel Guardian Sensor Location

LarryT

Well Known Member
In theory this should be an excelllent device because it tells one how much fuel is left in the tank as oposed to how much went through a flowmeter. With my Cherokee, I use a calibrated dipstick, so I always know how much is in the tanks before I take off. I plan to continue this practice in the RV-7. In the case of the flowmeter, although rare, there is no way to know that you developed a leak or are somehow venting overboard. Knowing how much you have left means exactly that.

I am interested in installing these optical low fuel sensors in my RV-7. This is a question for any listers who have installed the system.

1. What fuel level did you install the sensor at?
2. Where is the physical loction of the sensor? It seems to me that our tanks are likely to be virtually identical in shape/interior volume. I'd like to take advantage of someone else's prior effort and avoid reinventing the wheel. Please indicate if you took dihedral and angle of attack into consideration when you set up the system.
3. Does it work as expected and are you satisfied with your installation?

FWIW, I finally completed riveting the right wing and have the bottom left o/b skin to go. I would like to order the AE Fuel Guardian and receive the parts by the time I finish riveting the left wing.

Thanks,

Larry Tompkins

i second that

I have had the ae fuel guardian on my shopping list for awhile. Seemed like a good idea and price. Havent seen many folks use it. Anyone have it? Pics would be great.

I installed it and positioned the probes so that the level they would alarm at is about 1" above the inverted fuel pickup. The intent is that I still have a flooded pickup and need to pay attention to the level before the pickup starts sucking air. I have not installed and tested them yet to see what the results are. Should be interesting.

-Ron

I have the system in my 9A. I installed the sensor on the cover plate just fwd of the intake tube. In this position the sensor is approximately in the middle of the tank (in terms of the fwd and aft location). I set the height of the sensor to activate at about 13 ltr, figuring that if I was running low on fuel the light would come on with about 1/2 hr of fuel remaining in that tank. At this point I would switch to the other tank and run it dry. At this stage I would know I had about 1/2 hour in the other tank and had better get serious about landing.
The system works OK but will give false warnings in turbulence and IMHO this somewhat limits its accuracy. The fuel level gauges in my engine monitor are accurate and when flying I find that I primarily use the fuel gauges with the AE Guardian as a useful and reassuring back-up when the fuel gets low.

Fin
9A
Edit.
I should explain that if you get a false warning due to turbulence or when taxing you just press the button which turns the warning from a flashing to a steady light. You can easily reset the system if you think you have a false warning by holding the button in for a few seconds.

Last edited:
I have installed them on my &A. Very close to fling. I set each to alert me when I have 3 gallons left in the tank. I calibrated my tanks and it works great. Can't wait to fly

Fuel Guardian

I have them and they work fine. As stated, turbulence can set them off early when fuel is low.

I used to fly 727's with a Capt who was famous for saying 'the only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire.'

I have installed them on my &A. Very close to fling. I set each to alert me when I have 3 gallons left in the tank. I calibrated my tanks and it works great. Can't wait to fly

Thanks to those who replied. Jeff, did you use the water manomeeter method to locate your sensor at the three gallon level? What dihedral angle did you have the tank set at and what dimensions did you come up with for the sensor loction?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry I can not remember the details. What I did was measure a friends plane to figure out the dihedral. Placed my wing on my work bench to simulate the angle. I used distilled water. I may have some photos to email you.

Back