What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice: which Hand held for use with headphones?

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Team,

Can you please give me some recommendations of which make/model to buy?

I want a simple hand held radio that works well with headphone adapter and headphones?

I do not need any type of NAV on this radio.

thanks

I've used an inexpensive Vertex/Yaesu in two open cockpit aircraft and had satisfactory results with headsets:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/handhelds_0yaesu/yaesufta230.php

The documentation with this radio states a remote PTT must be used with headsets but I use the transmit button on the radio. The menu tree can be a bit confusing at times but it can be used in 'dumb' mode for manually inputting frequencies.

I suspect all the mainstream handhelds will also work fine with headsets. You can probably use price and personal preference to make a final decision.

Last edited:
I already have a version of that radio. Same model but a few years older.
The Antenna connector and the headset adaptor are very flimsy in my opinion. To the point where they don't work very well.

I see the current Spruce Ad claims new and improved antenna jack.
Perhaps they made all the proper fixes now?

I am happy with the Yaesu FTA550L I purchased earlier this year. It comes with a headset adapter and charging adapters for various needs plus a battery pack in case the rechargeable batteries give out.

Last edited:
I already have a version of that radio. Same model but a few years older.
The Antenna connector and the headset adaptor are very flimsy in my opinion. To the point where they don't work very well.

I see the current Spruce Ad claims new and improved antenna jack.
Perhaps they made all the proper fixes now?

I've had both versions. The older radio had an SMA antenna jack and the newer one a BNC. Both work well for me but the BNC is the standard size used in aviation. The headset adapter appears to be 'flimsy' but has worked fine for the five years I've had the radios in service. I use an external antenna in the two planes I've flown with these radios.

Last edited:
As these handhelds got smaller they also got a lot more delicate.

Antique now, but it's hard to beat the old Terra TPX-720 for simplicity and ruggedness.

Mechanical thumbwheel frequency setting - normal BNC antenna connector - full size jacks in the base for your headset, no adapter needed - extruded aluminum case.

terra-tpx-720-vhf-aviation_1_55c7d39f0e373aaac4ec7b48cb4c3ea6.jpg

I wish one of the present makers would come out with a ruggedized handheld version - using newer electronics but full size connections and a solid case. :)

The Terra has 10 replaceable AA batteries inside, change that to a modern lithium power source and the case could probably be halved in size.

s-l300.jpg

How many broken handhelds have you seen laying around? :)

Last edited:
Back