What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice Needed

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I have my cowling installed and now am working on the baffling kit.
Although I did not purchase the FWF I did obtain a lot of those items...

I was given an RV 6 baffle installation and so far it seems like I can make it work. I have installed the baffling around the back of the IO-360 and down the sides. Now comes to my dilemma.

The 6 baffling 1 and 2 cylinder pieces are not flared out to the edge of the cowling like the pictures I have on the instructions I have looked at several 6's and basically the baffling comes to the outside of the inlet,not to the outside of the cowling. A lot of 6's also do not have the small fiberglass air flow installed on the inside of the cowl inlet openings. I do want to install these.

Am I correct what I am trying to accomplish is to cause the maximum amount of air to be deflected to the cylinder fins. and if modifying the baffling side forward pieces to align with the outer edge of the inlets that would work instead of bending them outward to the outside of the cowling like shown in the baffle instructions.

I hope I am making sense of this.... today I am planning on installing the fiberglass flow pieces to the inside of the top cowling and then I will contour tomorrow the side baffle pieces to match the contour of those fiberglass pieces.

Any help or pictures would be appreciated.
Jack

Last edited:
Jack, we made our -6A outside baffles match the shape of the added inlet fiberglass curves and the rubber baffle seals folded inward and up against the fiberglass inlet ramps.

BTW, when you cut your rubber, cut across the long length and it will already be curved.

Best,

Thanks Pierre,

I found out today that this included baffle kit was missing a few of the brackets so I had to order them today.

I was really hoping to get the engine/ cowling/ baffling done by Saturday but will probably be next week.

Then I only have the leg fairings to do.

Yes,, I do see daylight..

Now to check and re check.
Jack

Back