What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice needed for pitot tube location.

Steve

Well Known Member
I getting ready to mount the Garmin GAP 26 pitot tube in my 1200 hour -9A.
I'll be using the Garmin mount that attaches to one of the underwing inspection panels.
The -9 wing has 3 inspection panels. The inboard one won't be used because it is barely outside the prop arc and in dirty air.
The middle panel is about a foot inboard of Vans stock pitot location and about 3 feet outboard of the prop arc. Smooth enough air?
The outboard panel would be the obvious choice because it is in clear undisturbed air BUT I would have to route the pitot lines around the airleron bellcrank.
Have any of you guys used the inspection panel mount and where did you put it?

Also consider where your tiedown rings are located - you don’t want a tiedown rope hanging up on the pitot tube.

I getting ready to mount the Garmin GAP 26 pitot tube in my 1200 hour -9A.
I'll be using the Garmin mount that attaches to one of the underwing inspection panels.
The -9 wing has 3 inspection panels. The inboard one won't be used because it is barely outside the prop arc and in dirty air.
The middle panel is about a foot inboard of Vans stock pitot location and about 3 feet outboard of the prop arc. Smooth enough air?
The outboard panel would be the obvious choice because it is in clear undisturbed air BUT I would have to route the pitot lines around the airleron bellcrank.
Have any of you guys used the inspection panel mount and where did you put it?

RV-7

I mounted my Gretz/GAP 26 in the bay outboard of the aileron bellcrank inspection panel. The pitot/AOA tubes run adjacent to the spar web "underneath" the bellcrank. There are holes punched in the ribs for plastic snap bushings for this purpose.

Picture attached (right side -- but you'll get the idea)

Attachments

• DSC_0064 copy.jpg
    DSC_0064 copy.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 87
I used the Dynon Heated probe and the Dynon RV7 mounting kit. I mounted the bracket as advertised and attached the regulator to the inside of the outboard inspection cover. Leave the aluminum tubes as long as possible when installing and you should have no trouble routing the nylo tubing around the bellcrank.

Pitot/AOA

RV-7

I mounted my Gretz/GAP 26 in the bay outboard of the aileron bellcrank inspection panel. The pitot/AOA tubes run adjacent to the spar web "underneath" the bellcrank. There are holes punched in the ribs for plastic snap bushings for this purpose.

Picture attached (right side -- but you'll get the idea)

I did as well. I also fabricated a bracket to hold the tubes so they couldn't possibly cause interference with the bellcrank. It probably doesn't move that far, but just in case.

Between 25% and 45% chord as well if accuracy of the AOA solution is a concern.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
I did as well. I also fabricated a bracket to hold the tubes so they couldn't possibly cause interference with the bellcrank. It probably doesn't move that far, but just in case.

I did the same as Larry. Little metal brackets to keep wire runs and pitot lines away from the bellcrank. There are a few VAF threads about this nice tip.

Then installed the pitot mast outboard of the outboard-most access panel. So far I have not encountered a situation where the tie down chain gets too close to the tube.

Back