What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice Needed Dimple Dies

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Quick advice needed.

Is it advisable to purchase brand new dimple dies and countersink cutters?

Is final quality / desired result affected?

I would guess that the dimple dies, if they are good quality are probably fine second hand, but I would definitely get new counter sinks. You don't know what material they have been used on and some material dulls cutters very quickly. I actually had counter sinks that were only used on aluminum and some that I used only on fiberglass and other composites. I found the ones used only aluminum lasted for the whole project while the others needed replacing.

One bit of advice I wish I had had early on: get 2 countersink cages, not one. Set one up for dash 4 rivets and they other for dash 3. It will save you a lot of time over the course of the build.

Is it correct to assume that Avery deluxe dimple dies last for more than one build? If so I will purchase from another builder. I will definitely be following the advice on cutters. Ty all for your input.

Is it correct to assume that Avery deluxe dimple dies last for more than one build? If so I will purchase from another builder. I will definitely be following the advice on cutters. Ty all for your input.

Built a sb -10 with one of each size. Lubricate them, don't bind them at an angle and don't overspeed and they will last. Yes, two microstops...one large and one small. Easy id and sometimes you will need to get into a tight place. Buy new ones and put the old ones in a ziplock marked fiberglass, along with your extra bits that you will want just for fiberglass. Happy building.

Last edited:
I bought sets of all new ones from Avery (dimple dies & countersinks & cage) when I started the project. Then I bought some used sets, cheap, on ebay. Micro cages & dimple dies are still useful new or used. The new countersink cutters are saved for use on aluminum. The used ones I bought are kept separate for use on the fiberglass parts.

One bit of advice I wish I had had early on: get 2 countersink cages, not one. Set one up for dash 4 rivets and they other for dash 3. It will save you a lot of time over the course of the build.

If I may add, applicable to the RV-12: Get a third cage and set it with a 120 degree, dash 4 cutter, for use where CS4 flush blind rivets are called out.

fiberglass

I bought sets of all new ones from Avery (dimple dies & countersinks & cage) when I started the project. Then I bought some used sets, cheap, on ebay. Micro cages & dimple dies are still useful new or used. The new countersink cutters are saved for use on aluminum. The used ones I bought are kept separate for use on the fiberglass parts.

I read or saw a video with an idea for fiberglass countersinks. Basically it was to dress a dremel grinder wheel to the correct dimension and use it to make fiberglass countersinks to save the good cutter. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like a good idea.

I'm at the end of my slow build and the countersink cutters I got from Avery have started to get dull. They have been through a lot! I would recommend getting a couple of #40's and #30's. If I had to do it over, I would have acquired a second cage and just had one for #40 and one for #30. It takes a lot of time to get the depth just right when you switch the cutter back and forth.

Countersink Speeds

I also have some advice learned from late research and unneeded expense: Make sure you turn your countersinks very slowly. I had mine on a regular drill that turned 1800 RPM and couldn't figure out why it was taking so much effort to countersink well. Turns out that to countersink aluminum, the A&Ps suggest about 50 RPM! My variable speed drill turning the countersink dead slow makes perfect cuts in very little time.

Avery spring back dimple dies only!! I destroyed two fuel tank skins with the cheap Chinese dies. Also I followed advice from a grand champion builder, Rick Gray, early on and only use the C-frame and hammer combo to dimple skins. I do believe they give you a superior dimple. ( opinion only).

Back