What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice Needed About Hinge Bracket

David Brent

I didn't notice this during construction of the HS, but one (just one) of the hinge brackets is shorter than the rest. I tried to add a photo but this is actually my first time to ever post anything. I e-mailed Van's and haven't heard anything back as of yet. Opening up the HS to install new rivets is an option I don't care for! I don't feel comfortable with the side load on the bolt as is. Anyone ever had this problem?
2cclaf8.jpg

David this must be replaced with proper bracket. Drill it out drill out some rivets to raise the skin for bucking bar and do it again. It's very critical spot. If left like that it will be next to impossible to attach elevator to HS. Even if attached a DAR will spot it immediately.

Last edited:
You are playing with a critical control surface here, do it "right".

Drill off the skin and replace the offending part and rivet it back on with the correct rivets.

Is that a bracket for the VS?

PS. There are some very good threads on drilling out rivets in the Tips section.

Last edited:
David,

If it really is the bracket, it should be replaced, no question. Another possibility is if there is something (debris or whatever) under the longer of the two brackets that is making it stand higher. Worth checking if you have not done so already. As Vlad said, these all have to be identical or stuff won't line up.

I would think a cherry max rivet would work, but check with Vans. They may want to know that the quality control on these is not right as well.

greg

This is the HS I finished months ago. Recently finished The right elevator and discovered this problem during my attempt to attach. Needless to say, I was terribly disappointed. The VS brackets are perfect as well as the other HS brackets. Guess it's time to start drilling out rivets. Thanks for the advise.

Finally heard back from Van's. They feel that somehow a VS bracket found it's way into the HS parts packaging. They recommend attaching a new one with cherry max rivets. Going to sleep on this one. I may drill out enough skin rivets to enable bucking regular rivets. Just a minor setback.

Cherrymax rivets

Cherry Max rivets are forbidden in some production aircraft as a replacement for solid rivets for hinge attachments. Sometimes the hardest part is deciding to just get after it.

Cherry Max rivets are forbidden in some production aircraft as a replacement for solid rivets for hinge attachments. Sometimes the hardest part is deciding to just get after it.

I agree with this...I would never put cherry max rivets into a hinge bracket for a control surface. Remember, your life depends on the strength of that hinge. With that in mind...make your decision.;)
Me...I'd drill all the TE rivets and a few of the end rib rivets out on just one side of the HS VERY VERY CAREFULLY. Use a very small bit to drill all the way through the rivet, then use a #40 to drill into the top of the rivet (slowly). Then work each individual rivet out. It is possible to drill them without opening up the hole if you work slow enough.

Hinge Brackets

Thanks for the input on this problem. I received a new bracket from Van's today and hence have more problems. The replacement bracket is approximately .025" shorter than the rest and is the same size as the one I'm replacing. In other words, I now have 7 brackets exactly the same size and now have 2 brackets that are .025" shorter than the rest. Going to call Van's tomorrow. If I pair the 2 shorter ones together, the axis of rotation will be different on that one set of hinges. Will this cause significant resistance to the movement of the elevator? For all those about to rivet on hinge brackets PLEASE check to see if they are a matched set! It will be a time consuming fix if you make my mistake. hope this will be of some help to a new builder some day.

Sounds like there may be a manufacturing problem. Vans needs to check their tooling or the manufacturer does (however they do it). I for one would not fly with the hinge brackets uneven. You need to determine which ones match up with the center bearing "hinge line." That one is the right one.

Back